POP-Up and Spyware

mwrager

I know this does not belong in the General Reefkeeping Discussion forum but in the Off-Topic forum, so if you want to move this post its ok with me. I just wanted to let everyone know about this problem that can and does affect PC and how to fix it. All of use are affected by POP-Up ads. Some times the pop-up happen while we are surfing on other sites and some just pop-up. I did some checking into this and found that all of us have spy ware on our PC that is causing this. So I went looking for some freeware that I could find that would take care of this and it was truly free. Also it had to be compatible with everything I do and this is what I found.

Ad-aware, it works and its free. Go to WWW.Download.com and do a search for Ad-aware. You only need to be down load Ad-aware 6.0 build 181 and Ad-aware 6 Reference File 01R245 (1/3/04).

You need to install Ad-aware 6.0 build onto you computer. Then unzip the file Ad-aware 6 Reference File 01R245 (1/3/04) and replace the file in the directory of program Ad-aware. Then run the program You will find out how many spyware programs are on you computer. I did it on my work Laptop and found 101, on my desktop at home I found 28. Good Luck, if you need help, just PM me.

Now this does not stop pop-ups, it helps get rid of most of them. I still run a pop-up killer.

Mark

Maxx

I read in Wired magazine that a "gentleman" who had made his living w/ spam and pop ups had been interviewed by another magazine and had photos taken of his beautiful home (which cost about $750,000) which was paid for by the ads. Several irate computer people tracked down his homes location, got his mailing address and his real name, and subscribed him to thousands of mail order catalogs and junk mail.
Almost better than setting him on fire in fromt of his house.....
Nick

ReefLady

Staff member
I use Ad-Aware, but I also use Netscape 7.1 as my browser - which comes with a bulit-in pop-up blocker, as well as email junk controls.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Originally posted by Maxx
I read in Wired magazine that a "gentleman" who had made his living w/ spam and pop ups had been interviewed by another magazine and had photos taken of his beautiful home (which cost about $750,000) which was paid for by the ads. Several irate computer people tracked down his homes location, got his mailing address and his real name, and subscribed him to thousands of mail order catalogs and junk mail.
Almost better than setting him on fire in fromt of his house.....
Nick

LOL!!!!

mwrager

Thank You Curt, I also use a pop up blocker, but I am also concerned with people seeing what’s on your computer, that is what I posted on how to find and get rid of spy ware, FREE.

Curtswearing

Originally posted by mwrager
Thank You Curt, I also use a pop up blocker, but I am also concerned with people seeing what’s on your computer, that is what I posted on how to find and get rid of spy ware, FREE.

Me too. If you get rid of spyware, you get rid of some of the pop-up ads. They are kind of related. I wasn't trying to hijack.

The office network was running slow and I just ran a similar program on the network.

I'm gonna kill some co-workers. They had free programs that did the stupidest stuff like tell you the EXACT TIME and automatically adjust your compter clock. Well thats fine and dandy but not when the spyware runs 24/7 over the network and sends the info back to the banner ad and pop up add companies eating up our bandwidth. When the firewall tried to block the spyware companies, they just told the firewall it was okay to talk to them over the internet. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

mwrager

Yes, I also had that one on my computer at work, I did not know it was spyware until I started to get pop-ups and my network started to get slower and slower as for thinking you were hijacking my post, never, the more info thats out there about pop-up and spyware and hope to stop it the better. JMO, again thanks Curt

EdgeKrusher

The spy ware doesn't actually look at the data on your computer. It looks at the web pages you visit and determines what add it wants to send to your computer.
But if you are using any microsoft operating system 2000 or later, then your data will be sent to microsoft. Microsoft is an evil, one that most of us can't get away from. LOL

Peace

EK

BoomerD

I use Zone Alarm (free) for my firewall, and here's a good link to a good, free pop-up blocker. this one even keeps the private message window from opening by itself. Have to go to the user cp to read my messages.
FreeSurfer

ReefLady

Staff member
If you get rid of spyware, you get rid of some of the pop-up ads. They are kind of related.

Not always, there are some sites (About.com) is one that always comes to mind, that have a TON of pop-ups. Even without any spyware on a PC, you'll hit loads of pop-ups at a site like that.

What is everyones free software firewall?

Been using ZoneAlarm (free version) for years, and never had a problem. Btw, Check Point Software Technologies is in the process of buying Zone Labs.

ScottT1980

Spybot is a good piece of software as well and works well in concert with adaware

Take er easy
Scott T.

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
I use the Mozilla browser, based on Netscape. I find it to be faster than IE and Netscape and like its big brother has a built-in pop up blocker.
And I just love being able to open up links in tabs!

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
I use "spybot search and destroy" to get the spyware and use ad aware pop up blocker. I use spybot once per day and pop up blocker is always on. The great thing about this pop up blocker is all you have to do is double click it to let pop ups through which i need to in order to see some java windows for like my checking account online etc etc.