HELP! Pop eye

DaddyTLi

Help!! I have a PJ Carnal with one eye popped. I put it in a hospital tank with daily water change waiting for the Fritz Aquatics Mardel Maracyn 2. I then stopped water change and use the product as instructed. It has been 6 days now and no change. Wondering if my PJ bumped something and hurt itself. Should I try Maracyn plus? or just adjust it back to the main tank with the pop eye?

Tom

Oxylebius

A lot of times pop eye is caused from some sort of trauma to the eye, a scratch, and can heal by itself. Other times an infection takes hold. And sometimes, it is air caught behind the eye.

If you already have the fish in the QT, I'd keep it there. The QT will allow the fish to eat and heal w/o any additional stress that can happen in the DT. Maintain excellent water quality in the QT, this goes a long way to helping a fish heal.

Make sure the expiration on the package was good, sometimes these sit around lfs's on the shelf for long periods of time.

If you this this might be bacterial-type of an infection. You can give the fish a few days in clean water before treating a second time. You can change brands if you believe there was some issue with the brand you previously used. Make sure you pick up a antibiotic that treats popeye. You can also try to treat the fish with antibiotic laced foods for two weeks and see how that goes.

DaddyTLi

Thanks. But after 8 days of treatments, Still no improvement. I then started daily water change to introduce next set of chem treatment; however, I'm afraid it is too late. The PJ started to drift and get stuck at the filter intake. Then it just lay on the side for the longest time. The single eye was really huge. I had to put him/her out of his misery. It was one of my original fish early in the tank.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear that :(. We try out best but sometimes it's not good enough

Oxylebius

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad that you tried to help the fish. Sometimes there are other issues at play that we are unable to see and so are unable to help with.