Polyps, Palys, zoas Huh?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok so I am REALLY getting into the whole Zoa thing now (thanks Doc and flricordia :) ). I have been fortunate enough to get some very nice SMALL frags over the last several months (from online sources, traveling etc) and am now looking to do some "stuff" with them. The thing is I have no clue what these different names really do mean. The sad part is that I have "googled" but can't really find a source to "clarify" these to my level of understanding *Newbie*

I have several nice looking and very productive zoa colonies that I guess I'll just call Zoas because there are so many different names for the exact same one. It really just depends on what the person selling them to you wants to call them or was told what to call them. I have this one colony that's growing like crazy and I am thinking about trying to frag them... it looks just like Advanced Aquarist except the tips aren't curled back but straight out.

My questions are:

What's a Paly compared to a zoa?

What is this critter that I have linked to above?

If I were to take a sharp knife (scalpel type instrument) and cut the base can I simply glue each polyp to a rock?

Any help/advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Allen :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
And yet another answer found
YP are pretty tough, when fraging I rip single polyps from the colony with a pair of hemostats then superglue them to new rock, they are usually fully opened within a day or so after and multiply rapidly.