Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Dry

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PEMfish

i herd that if u use windex on ur tank itll seap through and kill ur fish??

Me to! I don`t use windex ( not for that reason ) but always wondered if that was true. Dose any body know? Is it the same thing with vinegar?

nasek718

Me to! I don`t use windex ( not for that reason ) but always wondered if that was true. Dose any body know? Is it the same thing with vinegar?

If it makes contact w/ you water and there is enough of it in the water it's like adding Ammonia or chlorine to the water. A 3 part water 1 part vinegar solution is nowhere near as bad as Windex could be but I don't suggest pouring either one in your tank. A splash here or there should be easy dissolved or removed by your filter media. I don't use Windex because it streaks....go figure.

reefman420

i use coral life glass polisher and conitioner.I wipe the glass with a wet rag,Spray pollish and buff with a terry cloth.It gives it a nice smooth clean finish.

Humahuma

ya iv been cleaning fish tanks for my work for 5 years we dont use windex or vingar we just wipe it down with some glass buffer u can buy at fish shops or a dry towl or a wet and dry towl wich ever u perfer. i use a wet and dry towl my self =)

PEMfish

If it makes contact w/ you water and there is enough of it in the water it's like adding Ammonia or chlorine to the water< I know... >. A 3 part water 1 part vinegar solution is nowhere near as bad as Windex could be but I don't suggest pouring either one in your tank. A splash here or there should be easy dissolved or removed by your filter media. *I don't use Windex because it streaks....go figure.
:thumbup:
Yeah, but what about it seaping? Is this possible?

*Amen

Humahuma

yes im preatty sure because how els dose it get in there if u have an inclosed canopy?? that has to be the only way through!

panmanmatt

yes im preatty sure because how els dose it get in there if u have an inclosed canopy?? that has to be the only way through!

An enclosed canopy is not airtight. The fumes and droplets can still glet into the canopy. They can also be puled in by the air intake of our skimmers. That goes for any fumes at all, including deodorizers, paint, candles or anything else that is in the air.

Humahuma

true! u got me there! wat about the people that spray the windex on a rag and wip it on how dose it get in if ther arnt any fums close enough to the tank to get in!

panmanmatt

If they are spraying it in the same room then the air intakes and fans can still pull it into the tank. Even if the tank is in an adjoining room there is still the possibility of it being pulled into the tank.

Humahuma

ya but there wouldnt be enough to even harm any thing from that distance most of it would go some where els or settle be for it got there only a little bit of it would get to the fish tank!

lcstorc

Depending on what it is a little bit may be all it takes. I keep as much away from the tank as I can.

Jason25

There is no way that windex or anything else seeps through glass, glass is not porous, I mean think about it if something could seep in, don't you think water could seep out? Sorry if that souns rude it's early and I have already been at work for an hour,lol.

PEMfish

Very true! But Wnidex molecules could be smaller, it could happen on acrylic, not glass ( the porous issue ) and if water seaped out it would evaporate so who are we to say it wasn`t there? Also it could be going in at the seams, were the panels meet.

I use water only. Very rarely have I had to use white wine vinegar. When I have, it has been on glass covers, not the tank itself.

DaveK

I use a Squeegee that I got at an auto parts store and plain water. Works great and only takes a minute.

That is the method I use myself, and after having tried most of the others, I can state that using a squeegee is the only good fast way to clean the front outside glass on a reef system.

In my opinion, all chemicals such as windex, especially ones that contain ammonia, have no place around a reef system.