Pods

For those of you that dont know I have a RSM 250, and no refugium so I know that's out of the question.

What my plan to do was go to my lfs and buy a bottle every week on a water change day and add it to the tank during lights out. Then I read somewhere that there are different pods for different things. I'm looking mostly to feed fish and corals with them as I sometimes do not get home on time or at all with my job and want a safety net just incase

What's the best route to go. I was planning once a week for 6 months then every other week after

DaveK

In my opinion, your best choice here is to save your money, and just feed your fish when you can. Unless you have some very demanding species, they are not going to be hurt by missing a day or two of feeding. I only feed my own tank 2 or 3 times a week.

Consider too that you don't get that many pods in a bottle of them. The fish would eat them almost as soon as you put them in the tank. It's a matter of live food verses anything else. So, it's not really going to create any "safety net".

lbiminiblue

copepods aren't too nutritious either. Just because fish eat them doesn't mean they're good food. They're mostly a hard, fairly unnutritious shell with a small amount of "guts" which provide all the good stuff. You'd be better off with baby brine shrimp.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
I thought he was mostly trying to feed the corals. If so, the after-lights-out routine is probably best because it mimics coral feeding on the reef. Even better is continuous feeding.

lbiminiblue

I thought he was mostly trying to feed the corals. If so, the after-lights-out routine is probably best because it mimics coral feeding on the reef. Even better is continuous feeding.

even then, wouldn't corals be benefitting only microscopically? I think copepods just aren't too nutritious for their price, unless you gut load them

yankieman

copepods aren't too nutritious either. Just because fish eat them doesn't mean they're good food. They're mostly a hard, fairly unnutritious shell with a small amount of "guts" which provide all the good stuff. You'd be better off with baby brine shrimp.

The only thing I disagree with is that baby brine shrimp are more nutritious? , they are BOTH zoo plankton and need to be feed with phytoplankton
to be what you call GUT loaded ,, I have to agree with Dave , If your not raising your own phytoplankton and zooplankton "which since you dont even have time to feed your fish" is outa the question id say a automatic fish feeder might be an option to consider!!

lbiminiblue

The only thing I disagree with is that baby brine shrimp are more nutritious? , they are BOTH zoo plankton and need to be feed with phytoplankton
to be what you call GUT loaded ,, I have to agree with Dave , If your not raising your own phytoplankton and zooplankton "which since you dont even have time to feed your fish" is outa the question id say a automatic fish feeder might be an option to consider!!

But new born baby brine shrimp have a yolk sac. That's got oils and fats that a copepod normally wouldn't have.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I think it really depends on what Niko is trying to accomplish.
Another option since you do not have a sump and if you have the room is to raise copepods your self. We have several people in our local club that do it. It actually doesn't take that much room. For our size tank, one container would be enough and it doesn't have to be a large container. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with someone that does it and he can explain it. It would be cheaper than buying a bottle of TiggerPods or ReefPods every week to dose your tank.