Pod problem

Kremlin

I have apod problem in my tank. There are very little of these creatures in my tank due to me getting a leopard wrasse to early and not doing my research. M ypod population was basically destroyed in my display tank. I want to keep a mandarin, too. How can I keep the pod population up? I do have a sump and my tank is 180 gallons. Thx

Mike Johnson

When I started my 120 gal 4 years ago I left it fishless for 6 months and pod eating fishless for 1 year. I've read about people tanks in Germany and they recommend cycling a tank for one year so you can get a self sustaining pod population.

Now, you can buy pods and raise them to put in your tank. Or just keep buying them.

http://stores.aquaculturenurseryfarms.com/

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
As for the copepods, I use a pipette to inject them into the cracks and crevices in my liverock at night.
They seem to last longer and multiply better than just pouring them into the water.
The last lot was put in four weeks ago (100ml) and there are still plenty in there.

:thumber:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well your leopard wrasse most likely destroys your amphipods while the mandarin picks off the copepods....... For the most part. A sump and/or refugium would be needed though.

I grow copepods in a 5g tank. Just threw about 500-1000 In the refugium this weekend, they are finally starting to take hold.

Snid

With a new tank like mine, how soon should I consider adding pods for future anticipation of fish/corals? How many to get the population growing? I've seen a few in my tank, but barely any. It is only two months in.

Mike Johnson

There might be a bunch in there and you don't know it. Pick up a rock or look at night. A wrasse, angel, or mandarin will decimate a small population very quickly. People are always saying you can't keep an angelfish in a reef because they'll pick on your corals. I even bought my angel from a guy that got rid of it because of that. Angels are very active and always on the hunt. Having a copepod population will keep them occupied and they'll never pick at your corals.

Mike Johnson

70 - 76 degrees F, 20 - 25 C. So, room temperature is fine. It's pretty easy. Look in the link for a culture. If a fish store can do it, you can.

DaveK

.... There are very little of these creatures in my tank due to me getting a leopard wrasse to early and not doing my research. ... I want to keep a mandarin, too. How can I keep the pod population up? ...

In short, I think your going to have to choose between one fish or the other. It's very difficult to keep a mandarin with another fish that also loved pods. The wrasse being a much faster swimmer is usually going to out compete the mandarin for food.

While it is possible to cultivate pods to feed, your going to need a mess of them to keep both fish happy.

My own choice would be to keep the leopard wrasse and forget about the mandarin. In a large tank, a mandarin tends to blend in so well withe the rock work that you don't often see it, unless you go looking for it. Hard to believe that such a colorful fish could just disappear, but it's color pattern make it blend right in with live rock.