Plywood Tank Build 300 Gallon

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think you might be better off starting fresh.... Go slow. Taking over what sounds like a well established tank could be tough.

Willie McDaries

So quick update...

Just after I built my 300 gallon aquarium out of plywood (still haven't fiber-glassed it yet or order glass), I was offered a 300 gallon acrylic tank with an established setup (skimmer, pumps, reverse osmosis, chiller, lighting, etc.) and an assortment of 10 year old, beautiful coral for $1,500. Everything is in good condition. Tank is 8 years old, but no leaks or noticeable scratches.

I think it's a great deal, but I'm worried about transporting the tank (It's about 1.5 hours away) and not killing all the coral in the process. While I was able to successfully keep fish alive when I had a 75 gallon tank in college, it's been a few years.

Any tips for moving or ideas for the coral? Definitely need some advice. Maybe it's not worth it? Any horror stories taking over someone's existing system?

And just for sake of conversation, I was about to purchase all my fiberglass/epoxy last week. Below is my breakdown. If I still decided to do the plywood tank, do you think this would cut it...

1 Gallon Black Sweetwater Epoxy Paint for final coat: $78.00 — planned to apply 2 coats after after fiberglass & 3 coats of epoxy
2 Gallons 635 Thin Epoxy & 3:1 Hardener (EPOX-635315): $128.00 — should be enough for 3 coats
1 Pint of Black Pigment (AC-BL032): $12.25
4" 50 yard roll for corners of 8.7oz Fiberglass Cloth Tape (FG-C04R): $27.60 — for corners
15 yards of 7.5 oz Fiberglass 50" wide (FG-C0750): $94.40 — for rest of the tank

THANKS everyone for your responses so far!!! Definitely helped!

I don't know what to tell you on the established tank,except that it sounds like a great buy,but you're taking a big risk moving that much coral

as far as the plywood build list,looks good to me,except you wont need the black pigment if you're gonna be using the sweetwater paint,save yourself that 12 bucks

+1 on Brian e having a big plywood tank.....check out his build as well,you may see some stuff that he did differently that you'd wanna do with your build...there's really no wrong way to build a plywood tank,as long as the woodwork is solid and it is waterproof :D

Willie McDaries

just the equipment,not counting the livestock,$1500 isn't bad for a 300g completely reef ready system....but with moving that much mature coral,it's likely you'll end up with a lot of frags if they even survive the trip,not that it couldn't be done,just that it will be a major undertaken

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Maybe find someone to buy the coral/livestock piece and split the cost?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Maybe find someone to buy the coral/livestock piece and split the cost?

Like me! Hey people ship coral across the country in boxes thru of all places fedex

U can move em an hour. I've done it many many times. Sounds like a bargain.

..........rarely am I speechless