Plumbing basics

Copepod

Would someone be kind enough to link me to a site or thread that will explain plumbing basics? Or just explain it to me if possible. Pictures are a plus.

My plan is to drill the back of my Biocube and install an overflow system into a sump/fuge. The return pump I can probably figure out on my own, hopefully. It's the drilling part that scares me a bit.

I'm not sure what kind of attachment should be used to connect the drilled hole to pvc/overflow hose, or what kind of glue to use (I have some silicon).

I have a general idea of what to do but specifics would be reassuring :yup:

THANKS!!

Duesxx

Ok. Here is a rough drawing of what I would suggest.
pipinghelp.jpg

Drilling it will be the toughest challenge for sure. After that, nothing too tough. If you get your hole cut as low as possible, then install a bulkhead, thurn a elbow up and cut a pice of pipe as high as you want you water level to be. I would also suggest doing this in the first chamber where the water flows into or the second with your return going to either the second or final chamber. Far as glue goes, Oatley sells some aquarium safe PVC cement.

Copepod

Thanks! :D

What is the advantage of having the pvc inside the tank opposed to having the spill off at the top and the pcv outside the tank?

Duesxx

Mostly for flooding concerns. Pointed up, once the water drains below the rim it will stop draining into your sump, then you make sure and put a check valve in your return line for the event power is lost it will keep back siphon at bay.

Duesxx

Also note that your hole can either be cut from the bottom up or to the rear and a elbow cut in to point it up.