Plumbing and pumps

JeffroT

Couple of questions

Some of you know I'm planning a 180G build with 150G sump. I think i'm gonna go with the herbie overflow. I'm having a hard time finding plumbing info that is consistent. Mainly looking for size recommendations.

Any other plumbing recommendations are welcome.

Thanks, jeffro

JeffroT

woops hit enter without finishing my 2nd question. LOL

What are your opinions of the Hydor koralia magnum pumps

DaveK

Here is a link to a good how to guide for the herbie overflow (offsite) - http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

On the subject of overflows in general. The reason such designs such as the herbie overflow exist is to kee down noise. If your tank in in a location where noise doesn't matter, then a conventional overflow is usually a better choice. A conventional in tank overflow is far less likely to have problems. If the overflow must be silent and be as fail safe as possible consider the bean animal overflow. It's a similar design but uses a third pipe.

As a circulation pump the Hydor koralia magnum is good, but it's not nearly in the same class as vortx or tunze. This comes down to what sort of circulation are you looking for in the tank and how much do you want to spend to get it?

I agree with DaveK on overflows etc.... I'll add a few pumps to consider, DC return pumps are pretty hip right now. The control-ability is a great bonus in the hobby: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/06/10/dc-pumps/

Also, if money is a critical path for you, Jebao WP40s may be a nice circulation option. I had been testing (4) of the WP25s and they are crazy powerful with very nice magnets, not at the higher end of build quality but good enough to move water. They also seem pretty focused rather than a wide flow, but the freedom to angle them makes them a nice compromise between price and performance. I sold one MP10wES to pay for all of them. :wave:

AJK

Hi friend, you can click edit, to correct mistakes on post :)

I've used many powerheads over the yrs beginning with freshwater tanks. Hydor Korlia is best I've to date, one advantage is placing them anywhere I desire in tank, pumps are very powerful/quiet, easy removal/cleaning. I purchased an inexpensive pump for salt mixing station, suctioned against glass, pump buzzes loud (annoying). I have 2 HK pumps going strong at 2.5 yrs. I'm sure there is better on the market, but HK are great pumps at wonderful prices.

JeffroT

Thanks for the info and the links. A lot of stuff to learn. Who better to learn from then the people using them daily. The cost of the items isn't really the issue I just hate to spend more than I have to but don't want to buy twice because I was cheapskate. LOL.

jeffro