please tell me its not cyano

brucie

well my diatom outbreak vanished on its own,but now that all the diatom is gone I now see this.
IMAGE_046.jpg

its a total different color then the diatom outbreak unless its just a different color diatom? any ideas or confirmations? thanks!

sambrinar

It's not cyano.. did that make you feel better???? :D

Well.. it does look like it, if you can vacume or turkey baster it off.. it is indeed cyano

brucie

I will check tonight or in the morning if it is easily removed. does anyone know where some decent pics of cyano are? it doesn't seem to be spreading fast or anything.

nightfire76

not sure if its cyano or not...looks just like mine.....doesnt cyano always grow on sand also,mines just like brucies

sambrinar

not sure if its cyano or not...looks just like mine.....doesnt cyano always grow on sand also,mines just like brucies

Oh no it grow where ever it dang well wants.. over rock, corals, powerheads... fish if it could.. where ever there is low flow and opportunity

nightfire76

i just tried getting it off my rock and powerhead which is now almost covered in pink with a few red spots :D yay for me....though that stuff wont come off unless i scrape the crap out of it

sambrinar

Hmm seems to me... the pict is different or bigger.. now it does not look like cyano.. just try to scrape and see what happens..

Good for you Nightfire

nightfire76

id think as long as its not all over the freakin place and you like the color then see what happens if you leave it be

brucie

well, I reached in there and was able to kind of peel it off. it came off clean and where I pulled it stayed together. its not slimey or anything tho.

johnmaloney

+1 to cyano...perfectly normal everyone experiences it at some point. reduce nutrient input, increase out put and do removal and it will be gone quickly.

brucie

Ok, I was under the impression that cyano was slimey? This stuff when i peel it off is kind of leathery like. It doesn't really feel all that "slimey"
Also, while I was peeling it off I had some very very bright pink stuff that I assumed was coraline algae. Well it peeled off in the same manner as the other stuff.
Also when I peel it off there seems to be a thin clear coat of some sort underneath it all. Think it's cyano, or does this sound like something different? The bright pink really threw me off because I thought it was coraline but it came off in the same manner as the suspected coraline. Any thoughts? Thanks!