please help... more fish dieing of ich treated with para guard...

my flame angel died from ich, all my other fish were fine. then my red blenny died and now my 2 clowns have ich. i went to the pet store and they told me to use para guard, they said it was reef safe.

as soon as i put it in, all my corals shrunk down to nothing. 1 musroom is kinda coming back but thats it.

i turned my skimmer on and i put charcoal back in the tank.

i don't know what to do and the pet store is just trying to sell me more stuff. so i am done with asking them for help... im goign to ask you all. should have came here first.

what do i do? has anyone ever used this stuff before?

wnppmy

Look for any recent change prior to the outbreak. My personal feeling is sometimes its stress related. Yet to use treated methods, but is the only way to eradicate in a separate tank. Careful frequent feedings saved mine in past outbreaks, tho not as reliable.

Others using treated methods will give the best info. Good Luck..

after my flame angel died. i added a uv steri, protein skimmer and a circulation pump. then we added a mushroom and a clam.

ohh and all water test fine.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
How big is the sterilizer and your display tank?

Your fish need to be treated outside your tank in either hypo or copper. The uv will have little effect on your outbreak. All your fish are infected and need treatment. Are you able to do a hospital tank? Cupramine is the copper of choice.

thanks for the paraguard info. do you think my corals will come back?

the steri is the normal biocube one.

as for the hospital tank i don't have one. i went to set one up and they said i would have to wait for it to cycle before i could put the fish in, and by the time it was ready it might be to late. ive had the clowns for a while with no problems.

wnppmy

You can have a new smaller tank setup, personally I would use substrate from an established system but careful on this selection making it not always the wisest.

Do the water change as needed as already mentioned to keep things incheck.

In the new tank then able to correctly eradicate things.

In your larger tank no medications required as the parasite requires a host, keep it fish less for several months, over 3 minimum, 5 months likely suggested. Snails, hermits and shrimp are not hosts so you can leave them, they won't tolerate the meds.

If you still must leave them in the original tank and they are feeding, more selective frequent feedings might pull them thru as I've had success with my outbreaks, but this is not treating things. They do have a natural immune system, they need at least some frozen food, I use flake, fatty jellyfish frozen plankton, and brine, only what is eaten under 2 minutes or less fed frequently. A good frozen supplement will be fine.

Good Luck

I do use omega One Garlic Flakes, some reason used by many, far from a cure, but if it helps on the immune system I'm all for it, least settles my nerves, hah!

DaveK

Listening to anyone at a LFS is generally a big mistake. as pointed out by others, paraguard is a useless product.

Please see this post I made on your problem with your flame angel - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...03-flame-angel-problem-spots.html#post1154236

Please note that a quarantine tank is set up almost bare, and when used for disease treatment need not be cycled in the conventional sense. Any treatments used that are effective will almost always kill off any bacteria base. This means that you keep ammonia and nitrite down by very small feedings, cleaning the mechanical filter media often and a lot of large water changes.

fishtankissues_zps4f1d433f.jpeg.html

Tjr1992

I'm not sure if Jungle products are safe for marine fish, but when my Green Spotted Puffer was in a freshwater environment, he aqcuired Ich quite often due to the fact (at least what I believe) that he had been in a freshwater setup for over 2 years and they're usually migrated to at least brackish by that point in their life span. I used Jungle Fungus Cleart Fizz Tabs. It treats fungus' and other things such as sepsis, clamped fins, dropsy, fin rot, eye cloud, pop eye, and swim bladder disease. I used it many times and he's finally in a saltwater setup and has been for months and I've never had to use it. Maybe some more experienced people will help me out on this one, but one other thing I should mention, it does turn your water a greenish-blue color.

Edit: ingredients in the medication- Nitrofurazone, Furazolidone, and Potassium Dichromate

DaveK

I'm not sure if Jungle products are safe for marine fish, but when my Green Spotted Puffer was in a freshwater environment, he aqcuired Ich quite often due to the fact (at least what I believe) that he had been in a freshwater setup for over 2 years and they're usually migrated to at least brackish by that point in their life span. I used Jungle Fungus Cleart Fizz Tabs. It treats fungus' and other things such as sepsis, clamped fins, dropsy, fin rot, eye cloud, pop eye, and swim bladder disease. I used it many times and he's finally in a saltwater setup and has been for months and I've never had to use it. Maybe some more experienced people will help me out on this one, but one other thing I should mention, it does turn your water a greenish-blue color.

Edit: ingredients in the medication- Nitrofurazone, Furazolidone, and Potassium Dichromate

Note that this is a fish in FW. FW ich is a completely different disease and easily treated. Just about all products that are used to treat FW ich are useless in SW.

DaveK

thanks for all the info. im looking into everything.

myh corals are still sunk down. my tree looks dead. heres a picture. should i take it out or give it a chance.

fishtankissues_zps4f1d433f.jpeg photo by flathead1319 | Photobucket

Most likely this is a side effect from using paraguard. You'll quickly find out that most so called "reef safe" medications are not. I'd recommend making about four 30% water changes over the next couple of weeks.

As for your corals, soft corals often shrink down if they are not happy, or if they are growing. Usually they can be kept in the tank as long as it's not falling apart and you don't see black areas in the coral, and they pass the smell test. Take the coral out and smell it. A healthy one will smell bad, and dead one will smell really foul.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
At this point you should do water changes as Dave pointed out..... Get the chemicals out of your water. From there you need to treat with cupramine. Any luck getting the hospital tank going?

AJ REEF

You will only use cupramine, in a hospital/ quarantine tank. Never in a display where you intend to keep corals.