Please help! In-tank weirdness going on. Need substance ID and solution please.

Newjack

Ok so its been a while sense I have updated but then again there really haven't been anything to update about until recently.

Everything has been going well and stable, got my nitrate issue finally resolved.

A few days a go I notices a sudden increase in algae in my tank especially on the rock and glass. I also noticed a build up of some red mold like substance on the sand from one end to the other after coming home from work. Now for the longest time I noticed in the front bottom of the tank like I show below, some of the sand has been turning: red/pink color, I assumed, (Assumption are mostly a manifestation of fear, most of the time its the fear of asking.) That it had to do with the color of the pellets, They sink in that area. I never asked about it.

So a few days ago I came home and it was built up on top of the sand, I realize that its not turning the sand red, its growing around the sand. I look around like I do every day 3 times a day in my tank. I notice a lot of things besides the red stuff. I notice the pulsing xenia has branched on one stalk and another smaller stalk is starting to lie over, The 2 mushrooms that use to be one are considerably larger, the recordias are starting to split and some zoas have propagate. and a zoa colony detached itself and ended up in the back of the tank. The last thing I noticed is the first zoa colony I got were watermelon zoas. I bought them attached to a LR that I didn't realize how difficult it would be to put somewhere. The rock was obviously cut off of a larger rock but it was pretty solid, (no visible pores) just has shallow grooves. A few days ago it looked like it was starting to decay and thin out.

The first thing I did was a full range water test. Everything was perfect, even nitrates were only about 5ppm and the fish seemed happy and healthy!

My decision was to let it ride and check the next day. So the next day after work I get home and everything is the same except the red substance is no longer on the surface of the sand its only under the top layer and like it has always been. So again I "assume" it was just a weird anomaly and its over.

Now this morning I wake up, and the first thing I do I pee. lol :nekid: Then I go look at the tank. The red substance is back on the top of the sand but this time its not as much. Again I let it ride but now I notice it has bubbles forming on the top of the red stuff. The bubbles just keep getting bigger and multiplying. They are not releasing or floating up or anything. They started at just a few bubbles and like micro bubble size, and now, (again) the red stuff is forming from the left/front all the way to the right/front of the tank. Its still only on the sand, its a thing layer, and its narrow. More like a stripe of it than a sheet of it.

The only other 2 strange thing I noticed is the pulsing xenia stalk that was kind of leaning over last time, it is now completely vertical and the stalk looks like it is sort of twisted and flat rather than straight and cylindrical and the LR that the watermelon zoas are on is now really hallow. If I were to take it out and shine a light on it, I could see the light on the other side. Its not even the same shape but its almost like its corroded out and receding. the top is no longer flat and a whole chunk of it is gone.

If you have any info on any of these question please let me know!

What is the red substance above and/or under the top layer of sand?

Why is the pulsing xenia going vertical?

Why is the live rock my watermelon zoas are on becoming hollow or looks decaying like?

Why did everything randomly grow and/or propagate so fast and sudden?

If any of these things are a risk or danger, what do I need to do to fix it?

Here are the pics I have as of an hour ago.

Here is the LR the watermelon zoas are on.

Here is what it use to looks like when I got it. It has the same shape groves but they were shallow and didn't go all the way through.

Here is the pulsing xenia that is limp. It looks like its on the sand but its not, its just the angle.

Here is the red stuff under the top layer. Its always been in the same spot since the first month.

Now here is the red stuff formed on top of the sand with bubbles on forming. Also note that the CUC is avoiding it. They make the effort to go around it and not touch it.

Also did another test today and everything is normal.

Please help me, I am worried something drastic is going to happen!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The red is most likely Cyanobacteria. You mentioned pellet food sinking in that area.
That is a good indication that it's a low (or no) flow area of your tank.
Cyanobacteria tends to mature in areas of low flow & your extra food & detritus there feeds it's maturation.
I'd think about feeding less & adding a little more water circulation to your tank.
Siphon off what you can of the red cyano when doing your routine WCs & don't skimp on doing them.
Your zoas are opening up & look pretty, I wouldn't think you'd need to worry about them.

Newjack

ok thx for that info but does cyano usually for bubbles like that? The zoas are open and looking good but I forgot to mention on the specific rock there decreasing in numbers... it use to be so full u could not see the top of the rock even when they are closed. now there's gaps where u can see.

Newjack

and im only feeding once every three days. I feel like its not enough as it is for such young clown. I only give them a small pinch of pellets and they eat most of it.