Please help! Blue hippo tang with ich ):

Spammie33

Yesterday I noticed that my blue tang was getting ich, and I gave him a quick FW dip. Today he seems to be much worse, more white spots and he seems to be gasping for air. I plan to move him to a QT very soon. Do you guys have any more treatment suggestions? I really hope I can treat him in time.

jsgarrido

i suggest not removing him from the main tank your just going to stress him out even more and he will die. i suggest to feed him some algea with garlic juice if his still eating .

jsgarrido

i would get some fresh garlic from the store, mash them up and add some water to get all the juice out. i used to have ick on my tang as well and this worked great for me i still sometimes feed my tang this ones a month it helps with the immune system. the FW dip made him more stress so it will just get worst.

Spammie33

He was eating last night, and yes, I have been dipping his food with garlic, I'm hoping it will help in the long run. Except, today he did not want to eat it, im worried /:

Spammie33

Ok thank you! I will try this. Did your tang get significanly better right away? or is it something you saw over a week period?

jsgarrido

it tuck me about 2 weeks for my tang to get better from ick . i think the FW dip was the cause of it being stress and adding to more ick. i would just wait it out if his already breathing hard, cuz the ick treatment takes out alot of oxygen from the water.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I suggest you treat the fish in a QT tank......that is the only way to rid him of the ich. treatign with copper or hypo are the two best methods as they are the only prove way to kill ich.

There is truth to the QT transfer being stressful and in turn allowing the ich to grab a greater hold of the fish. Its like playing russian ruolette.....Ideally you'd like to get the fish to a point that it is still eating and then switch him.....and he should make it through. Take a read through these:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ologist-advice-ich-cryptocaryon-irritans.html

This shows you how to setup the QT and how to treat. The QT is very simple.....in a quite room as not to stress the fish. Keep an eye on water quality and you can save him.

jsgarrido

what sizes tank do you have ? and how long have you had it set up ? blue hippo tangs a notorius for ick if you stress them out just a little they get ick really quick but just be patient and the ick will go alway on its own.do your other fish have ick ?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
How about a pic of the fish? Is he still swimming or is he slowing down and breathing healthy?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear that man.......usually when you see them breathing rapidly it means they are severely infected in the gills. Probably not much you could have done. I watch my fish daily for signs of ich and the first sign I throw my UV sterilizer on, fill up the QT and transfer a seeded sponge from my DT sump.....let it run for 1-2 days and then transfer the fish and treat.

Spammie33

I have a 90 gallon tank. I only have two damsels and a tomato fish. No the others are not infected. I had onely had the Tang for about 5 days ):

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
That's the issue with susceptible tangs..... Most come withthe disease and require treatment before adding them to the DT.

Better luck next time!

DaveK

I have a 90 gallon tank. I only have two damsels and a tomato fish. No the others are not infected. I had onely had the Tang for about 5 days ):

Regretfully, yes they are infected. You really need to remove all the fish to a quarantine tank and treat them for the disease. Treat with either copper or hyposalinity, and do not treat with both at the same time. Then the main display tank should not have fish in it for 8 to 10 weeks. See the sticky threads on the subject in the fish disease section of the forum.

Yup, Yup. They are all infected. You must quarantine them. With this stuff called copper safe. Best stuff ever. Ick will disappear to the eye over night. Treat for about two months to ensure everything has died off in display tank. Next time always quarantine every fish you get for at least a month before adding to main display to avoid any unnecessary tank break-downs. Damsels and tomato clowns are especially aggressive species and a tang will stress over them no matter what. Never wait to quarantine if you see first signs of ick and FW dips are just always too risky if you don't know what your doing and never do them if fish is covered in ick or is breathing bad because it will just make him worst later. Next time feed them garlic infused foods to try to suppress the ick until you get them into quarantine tank. Feeding your fish garlic infused foods from time to time helps them fight possible diseases too boosts immune system and brings color to them. Sorry for your loss. You should down yourself on tangs though. They are truly beautiful and hardy fish to keep you just have to make sure you quarantine everything you put in your main display, no matter what it is. Rock, inverts, fish. You'll appreciate it later. :hammerhea

Keeping a simply Quarantine tank like this will be greatly save you money and heartache.
20130507_230449.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yellow tangs are especially aggressive and he stresses out my powder blue tang all the time but with proper quarantine the ick won't come. See, perfect harmony.
20130425_191116_11.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]