Playa's Reef

Playa

tg that is a Seriatopora, and more than likely on the way out, it has bored me:)alhtough they like medium to high light. I might get a smaller colony with some relaly hot pink:)

I think you are refering to the pink Goniopora right next to the 2 little colonies of Hot pink and Red Zoanthids.

tg I traded all the zoos indeed. I kept the 2 little colonies and I have about 3 more that are attached to the rocks, that I plan to eliminate in the very near future.(while in the water this time) I plann on keeping really exotic zoos(small colonies that will remain on the sand bed)

tg I sold the 65 gallon a couple of weeks ago.

:)

Luis

tankgirl

Luis, have you had any lasting effects from the exploding zo experience? Is that why you traded them in? It was a scarey thing. We were so worried.
I forgot to tell you, when I was aquascaping, one exploded!!! It was underwater, I was using tongs to move the rock, so nothing got on me, but I had never seen one explode before. They really explode horribly when they go!
I've got hot pink zos too! :D Great idea to put them next to red ones! Can we see a close up of those?
Yeah, that goni - now that you told me I can see it very clearly.

Playa

Thanx TD:)

tg I still have numbness in the pinky and ring fingers of my left hand. When is cold outside or when I lean on the left hand is more noticeable, probably from lack of good blood circulation in that area. tg please wear gloves please when dealing with Zoos, even if it is underwater. If you have cuts in your hand you can still be affected by the punch of their toxins.

Here is a picture of an acropora I got this evening. It's a very beautiful deep purple with purple tips. I dont know the name of the acropora and could not find it in Verons book either.

Playa

tg
My wife was a little worried about the zoos so I got most of them out, but this I could not let go. I also have other colonies encrusted on the walls of rocks that will be removed in the near future.

So here are the remains:)

Luis

sharks

Contributing Member
First off these pics are awesome.
That being said the Goniopora is stupendous!
I’m hooked and pray it does well for ya.

Ok now what is the name of that starfish! I have sold them as a red knobby star but always thought them to be NOT SO REEF friendly. I loved them each time they came in but was always worried about them in customer’s reefs. How long have you kept him?
S

Playa

Thanx Sharks. The starfish are being sold in defferent LFS around here and so Far Rob and Patrick both have told me they are reef safe. A couple of years ago someone told me it was not safe towards certain species and never bought them. I have a couple of those and had them for a few weeks.

The Goniopora, I bought it since it had a little more red than pink. I feed the reef of live phyto every other day, hoping for the best here as well.

I should ask if you are talking about the starfish on the left or the one on the right.:)

Luis

thetastate

Hi all. Noobie from Australia here.

I came to this site looking for some info on chillers. The title of this thread caught my eye and 37 stunning pages later, I find myself inspired to build the reef system i've been procastinating about for so long. Those who share win - thanks Luis.

I've designed, built, and collected specimens for reef tanks for about 20years now, but haven't had any aquaria for the last four years since moving into my old farm house which is not well insulated or airconditioned. We regularly get temperatures over 40 Celcius, hence the need for a chiller.

I've met Sprung, Debeek (sp?), Axelrod et al but pfft... all you keen as reefers are *real* inspiration.

Hmm, I wonder what beauties are to be found in other threads...

Last edited:

Gina

RS STAFF
:welcomera thetastate! If you want to get hooked on the beauty of reefing then, this thread and Rob's are the ones to see!

Also, Tankgirl has a great thread going with lots of beautiful shots!

Enjoy your stay.

Luis,
Once again great shots! So, you've gotten rid of some of the zoos! Can't blame your wife for being worried.
I've thought about them and yes wearing gloves would be a good idea but, I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats and don't want to take a chance on them getting to any water. They are beautiful though.

Playa

Thankyou thetastate and Gina.

Thetastate welcome to RS. Looking forward to follow your soon to be AWESOME reef.

We all look forward to visit you in Australia and pick up a frag or two:)

tankgirl

Dayam! More beauty for us!

Luis, the numbness might be from nerve injury - very serious for you because of your profession. I always did wear gloves, more to protect the corals than to protect myself. But, since your injury, I've been doubly careful. If it is injured nerves, they will heal - but it takes a very long time - a year, maybe more.

In that pic of the new purple acro, what's the bright red coral at the left edge?

Welcome, Thetastate!!!

tankgirl

Luis, remember we were talking about hot pink zos? I took a pic of mine today to show you. They've about doubled and are staying very bright! :D
I like yours so well, I think I'm going to look for some red ones to put next to these!