plants

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
With some Macro algae yes you need good lighting and avoid certain Herbivorous fish for it to do well.

STAR RIDGE

there are a few marine plants that i think could be kept in a nano reef. shaving brush, mermaid fan and halamida are a few that seem to do well. the trick is 1-keep herbavore fish(tangs, rabbits etc.) away, 2- bright light, 3- deep sand bed(2" -3" as they spread by underground rhizomes) and 4- enough nutrients for thier growth. the last is the trickiest to manage because too much nutrients and you get trouble algae but too little and your marine macros starve. i have also had luck with feather caulerpa and grape caulerpa but keep on top of it, it can go crazy. good luck.

reefjitsu

do saltwater plants need as much light as coral?
pretty much, but you can use cheaper bulbs and fixtures as you won't need the same spectrum as for corals.
what kind of saltwater plants are there? could any be kept in a 5 gallon?

There are really only two types of marine plants that will be available and or suitable. Seagrasses and mangroves, both of which will grow too big for a five gallon. There are plenty of plant-like algaes that will do just fine in a five gallon. Various species of caulerpa will probably be the easiest to start with.

which would be harder to take care of in a nano. coral or plants?
the algae (plants) will be easier.

munki

could someone please give me some names of some plants that would do ok in something bigger than a nano?
thank you.

you should be able to keep corals or plants in any sized aquarium its all in the individual setup good luck and do your reading dont listen to anyone who says that there is only one way to do somthing

with the information out there there should be few limitations in this hobby the biggest limitation for me is the thickness of my wallet!

and to answer your question plants do not need more or less light the more light the faster they will grow basically the same for most corals. Its more about the spectrum, 6500k which is a yellow hue, is most desired for growing macros but is is less pleasing to the eye in the marine aquarium. in comparison to the more white and blue color spectrums

do not buy macros there should be someone out there who will give u some seeing as most people discard them in the trash when they trim there refuge

munki

cecilio said:
hi munki
you can buy salt water plants at floridapets.com,they give excellent services
are those the only plants that are avail.. for the hobby? thank you, but does anyone know of anyother good sites because a lot of there stuff is out of stock.

lcstorc

Check out our sponsors. Many of them sell livestock some include plants as well and they support our site.