Planning my first tank, need some guidance

ZaNe

Hi,

I am planning my first aquarium. My priority is to welcome a Volitan Lionfish. I'm also looking for leaf scorpionfish and other fish has well but I'm not set yet. And also, i feel in love with SPS but did find a lot of "beginner" information on what it takes to keep them.

Aquarium

I'm planning a 90G with a sump around 30G. I will probably build my own slump under the supervision of my uncle that own 2-3 SW tank for around 10 years now. But I would also like to know how to design a sump. I looked around but didn't find any website explaining different design, pro and con of certain design and etc. I would also like to learn about the overflow. 2 vs 4 and etc.

For my aquarium, I was planning to cycle it for around 6 months or more if needed before introducing anything. Maybe 1 damsels but my plan is really to let the aquarium mature and learn everything about getting an excellent water quality. Also, I want to learn an discover hitchhicker and etc. (hope i will have plenty of them :p)

Now for the other equipement, I am not set on any model in particular. I would buy skimmer for sure and all the other basic equipements.

Lighthing :

I am confuse about this part. I really like the bluish ligthinng but I think it not good for coral and I don't know what is the type of this bluish look light. I think is called moonlight but I'm not sure. Also, what does it take to keep coral 14 000k or 20 000k. I'm also confuse about metal halide vs t5HO. Some said that t5ho with do the trick and some others said that it's essential to have metal halide if I want coral.

These are the beginning for now. I still have a ton of questions, I'm trying to read has much has I can which is around 8-9 hours a day if it's not more (be an intern is pretty cool lol) So I will stop here for now because I don't want it to be too confusing by asking 100 questions at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

framerguy

Marc has a great site for setting up various parts of a system... Marc's Hidden Treasure

If you have enough room I would like to see you attach a refugium or build one into the sump. Marc has a design for that too.

Cycling the tank for six months may be excessive. It shouldn't take more than six weeks and maybe that's what you meant. Use shrimp from the grocery store/deli (I used frozen ones) and put them in a nylon sock (panty hose) and let them get the cycle going. The lion fish needs to be one of the last things you add because anything added after it will be looked upon as food.

As far as hitchhiker ID's go, Chuck has a good page about that... Site Map for Chuck's Addiction He also has some good ideas on setting up tanks and how to go about it.

The bluish light you speak of is probably the 20K lights. They are much more blue than 14K and way way more blue than 10K. Corals seem to grow best under 10K but I think 14K looks better. You can add a bluish light with T5 actinics.

ZaNe

Thank you for the websites. The one on sump was exactly what I was looking for.

I really meant 6 months, I may not keep it this long but I want to be sure to know how to control my water quality before introducing anything. I mean I don't want to go too fast and kill my inhabitant, I may be too "freak" about it because I don't know as much as I would like.

I will read about the sump and come back with a design. And what about a moonlight ? What are they and what do we use it for ?

Thanks

chrome91

moonlights are tiny blue lights, theyre good for a moon effect at night and for looking into the tank late at night

nikkipigtails

Are you planning on using the damsel to cycle your tank? Let me try to talk you out of this. All you need is a deli shrimp in a pantyhose or filter sock, put it in your aquarium for a day or two (until it starts to decompose) then take it out and let the cycle begin. That way you don't needlessly stress an innocent fish. Also, with a shrimp, you'll get a harder cycle that will benefit you in the long run.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle?

As far as lighting is concerned, if you're going FOWLR with a lionfish, your lighting only has to be bright enough for the fish to see its food. I'm not sure about a lion's coral compatability. Everything I've read says they're not reef safe.

michael_cb_125

ZaNe- Welcome to RS.

Well it sounds like you are heading in the right direction. (reading alot, doing research, and taking it slow, are all crucial parts of this hobby.)
First off you need to really consider that you wish to keep in this tank. Lion fish are very cool fish. They are entertaining to watch, and can become very personable. But, they generally do not fit into the typical reef setting. A typical reef houses large numbers of invertebrates. Corals, carbs, shrimp, snails, urchins, fish, worms, an many other creatures make up a coral ecosystem.
Now, most places will tell you that a lionfish is not reef safe. This is 100% true. Lion fish are highly predatory. They feed on shrimp, worms, fish, and just about anything they can swallow. This is what makes them NOT Reef Safe. This being said, it is possible to keep them with corals, as they do not feed upon corals. So keeping a lionfish with assorted corals will not be a problem. You just will not be able to keep many of the species normally associated with a full-blown reef. Now comes the other delimma. Corals need very good water quality. SPS corals (you mentioned keeping these) need perfect water conditions. Keeping a large fish such as a lionfish, will drastically effect your water quality. These fish eat large meals, and place a lot of strain on your water quality. So you will need to really stay on top of your water quality. Test frequently, and perform many water changes.

As far as filtration goes, you will need a very good protein skimmer. Some of the brands I reccomend are ASM, Euro-Reef, Tunze, Deltec, Elos, BK, and there are many other quality skimmers. Just be sure to get one that is rated for at least twice or three times the size of your tank.
Building a sump will allow you to customize it to you specifications, you can be sure to leave plenty of room for your skimmer.

You mentioned cycling the tank for 6 months. This will only work if you provide a constant supply of food. If you add shrimp at the begining, test you levels, and eventually get them stabilized, your tank is cycled. this may happen in only a few weeks. After this you must provide food for the bacteria, otherwise they would just disapate. So by adding fish after a tank is cycled, you are adding a food source for your bacteria. (bacteria are the main filtration source of a Marine Tankl)

Lighting: For SPS corals the best route is Metal Halide. There are many threads that discuss this topic.

Good Luck
~Michael

ZaNe

Thanks all, I still reading a lot and I'm an a little bit less confuse. I have a list of equipement but will go visit my LFS on sunday so I will post the list to have your comments about it. And will probably add a sketch of the sump to have some comment too.

lcstorc

Sounds like you are working your way to a great plan. I agree with all that is said above. Another thing to think about with corals is that there are a lot of corals that rquire less lighting. There are a ton of soft corals and LPS that you can keep under T5 lighting with no problem and not have to be so concerned about the heat of metal halides.
One other thing to mention is to beware of the LFS. Some are wonderful and some are just out to get your money. The second category will often give you bad advice so you come back to them to buy replacements. I would recommend before you buy your equipment or inhabitants check around to make sure it is the appropriate equipment and how to have a better idea if the livestock is compatable or even healthy. Also you should check out our sponsors. They have great deals on dry goods as well as fish corals etc. Often things will cost less and you will have greater variety on the net.

ZaNe

Thank you Lynn. I think I will go with LPS and soft coral and leave SPS for the moment I will upgrade for sure but I have to set up this tank first lol.

I want to know if the skimmer Octopus ps-3000 is good enough for my tank. The price is in my price range, but I don't know if it's a good skimmer and couldn't find any review on it :S or can you recommend a good skimmer in the range of 250-350$ CAN ?

ZaNe

I went shopping today ! Didn't buy anything but I am a little bit more set about my future setup so here it is :

Display Tank :

90G (48x18x24) Temp bottom. I have two choices. Either pre drill or made them drill for 30$ for each hole under warranty by them. If something crack or break they remplace the tank. I don't know with one to take.

30G Sump Breeder (36x18x12) I though that if I increase the area air/water, It will be better.

Skimmer :

This part is not set yet. I was looking at a Octops Ps-3000 rated for till 450G. Since I will keep lionfish, scorpionfish and others who are big polluer, it will be better but I don't know if it overkill. If you can suggest me a good skimmer around 350$ can. that is better it would be great.

EDIT : I was looking at a ASM G-1X rated for 150G and I think that ASM has a really good rep. So I think I will buy the ASM should I good with the G2 rated for 200G or it's overkill. G1-X or G2 ?

Flow :

Koralia 3 x2 I don't know if it enough.
A 1200 GPH return pump. MAG12.

Ligthing :
48" fixture 4 T5HO 2x10000K and 2xactinic + moon light.
I want to keep LPS and soft coral, is it enough ?

Also, my huge concern is that I want to built an "in wall" tank. Not really in wall, but it will be sticking out of the wall where the stand will be fully recover to look like an extension of the wall. Is it hard to built a proper stand ? I have a couple of design that I will show you to have some comments but do you have any tip or warning before I begin to draw plans ?

Thank you

ZaNe

I draw plan for my support. each corner are 4x4 and all other studs are 2x4 either on the side (4") or flat (2"). The surface is 2 sheet of 1/2" plywood.

Let me know what do you think about this. Is it safe ? The frame will also be attach to the existing wall's stud.
base.jpg

EDIT : We dont see it, but at the bottom there is a 2x4 flat and another 2x4 on the side.

lcstorc

I'm not a construction person so I will leave that for others who know.
Personally I don't believe you can overskim. You can always adjust the skimmer to not pull out as much if that is what you want. I love ASM skimmers and a G2 would be fabulous. There are people here (DrHank is one) who love the Octopus as well.
Sump sounds great. Have you looked at return pumps? You will need one rated for your overflow so wait until you decide on the overflow before chosing the pump. If you have a custom way you want the overflow then I would have the tank drilled after the fact. If you want just a standard overflow I would buy a pre-drilled tank.
Hope that helps.

ZaNe

Some updates about the design but I didn't have the time to change the drawings. Each side will have a 2 2x4 in a L shape and instead of bracing it I will cover the back and sides with plywood which will be stronger than small bracing.

I'm also worried about something. I want to introduce a Volitan but after a lot of reading, I don't know if my 90G will be big enough. I read that Volitan grows to 12" pretty quickly. Is 12" of "body" or is 12" including fins ? Because my tank is only 18" deep which only keep 6" to move side to side ... Is a 90G is big enough for a Volitan without and upgrade or I'm better with a dwarf ? I really don't want it to be cramped in my tank.

Thanks

blue_eyes53813

Hello And welcome to RS... I wanna give ya a high five... It is awesome that you are reading and planning your tank through before jumping into this hobby.. I cant waite to see your tank when you get it all set up..

BigJay

they are huge fish and huge polluters. Have you looked into some of the other lion fish? Some are quite small .Of course their spines aren't quite as dramatic. But some of the smaller species if well fed are less likely to see your other inahbitants as food. Also keep in mind lion fish are perchers and can damage corals just by simply sitting on them for too long.
Its great that your coming up with a plan far in advance. It will help you to be more realistic about overall costs as well. Best of luck!

ZaNe

Hi,

Thanks too all your input, after a lot of reading, I'm thinking about letting go the idea of getting a Volitan. Getting a Volitan put to much of restrictions, so now I was looking for trigger that also seems to be "killer" fish that eat everything. So now I'm confuse about what to get and what can be compatible.

The fish I like are
Picasso Trigger
Achille, WhiteCheeck and Powderblue tang. Powder bleu tang seems to be too big but what about the achille and whitecheek ?
Dogface puffer but they are to big. Considering a smaller puffer like spotted in the range of 6" adults
And 2 clownfish like tomato clarkii, is there any other clownfish that could suvirve ??
and if possible a dwarf lionfish but I thing the trigger will kill it ...

Can you guys give me some advise, I'm a little confused about what I could get in my future tank.

Note that I don't want all theses fishes in one tank. Only what would be the best "combo" in all theses fishes.

Thank you

nikkipigtails

I haven't done much research on triggers but I do know that they are extremely agressive so you would need equally as agressive and close to the same size fish to put in the tank with them. So, if you're adding a tigger, then you're moving more into a predator tank. Look into some large angels.

My favorite tang is the Achilles but I would not put him in a tank with a trigger. The clowns will also not survive with a trigger.

ZaNe

I finally bought a 110G

Now I was looking for what can I put in ...

I was thinking a dogface puffer, whitecheek tang and either a antennata lionfish or a dwarf zebra lionfish and 2 clarkii ...

Will the dogface fit in my tank ?

Thank you

blue_eyes53813

Congrats on the new tank.. Im not sure about the compatiblilty of those fish but it seems the clowns may get beat up.. ?? .... Here is a bump for you..