Placing a tank beside a fireplace

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
My husband asked me if we put a 60 cube to the right of our fireplace/insert, the back side of the tank and the fireplace would be on the same wall. The area is 40 inches wide, the stanks is 36 inches and the tank is 24 by 24 inches.
Do you think that it will get too warm when we have a fire? We have that insert with a fan and it blows the heat straight out into the room. It has doors so we do not have an issue with soot or ash dust.

Pat24601

My husband asked me if we put a 60 cube to the right of our fireplace/insert, the back side of the tank and the fireplace would be on the same wall. The area is 40 inches wide, the stanks is 36 inches and the tank is 24 by 24 inches.
Do you think that it will get too warm when we have a fire? We have that insert with a fan and it blows the heat straight out into the room. It has doors so we do not have an issue with soot or ash dust.

Your estimate is probably better than mine, but I think it would be be fine. My fireplace doesn't really even get that hot off to the side like that.

StirCrayzy

I have an insert and use to heat the house in the winter, it is generally 80-85° in that room while the blower is running.
If you don't kick it up really hot, that could work OK for you, but we usually can't be anywhere near our FP when it's cranked up. You can almost boil water on it.
I had a 4' FW tank on the other side of the room 15' away and it regularly got up near 85°.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
That is interesting. I had a 100 gallon freshwater tank(and eventually satlwater) across the room from the insert for over 20 years. It was slightly off center and not directly infront of the fireplace. Then last winter, I had a 120 sitting about two feet further back than the 100, so it was not infront of the insert at all but it was in the room. The 100 gallon never got that warm and I struggled to keep the 120 as warm as 77. It may also be a contributing factor that the room has a cathedral ceiling. I was concerned about putting one beside it though just because it was so close. Maybe your insert is rated for a larger area than mine.....

I have an insert and use to heat the house in the winter, it is generally 80-85° in that room while the blower is running.
If you don't kick it up really hot, that could work OK for you, but we usually can't be anywhere near our FP when it's cranked up. You can almost boil water on it.
I had a 4' FW tank on the other side of the room 15' away and it regularly got up near 85°.

Pat24601

That is interesting. I had a 100 gallon freshwater tank(and eventually satlwater) across the room from the insert for over 20 years. It was slightly off center and not directly infront of the fireplace. Then last winter, I had a 120 sitting about two feet further back than the 100, so it was not infront of the insert at all but it was in the room. The 100 gallon never got that warm and I struggled to keep the 120 as warm as 77. It may also be a contributing factor that the room has a cathedral ceiling. I was concerned about putting one beside it though just because it was so close. Maybe your insert is rated for a larger area than mine.....

It probably is very room dependent and type of fire dependent. I know it's summer, but maybe launch up a fire and see how hot it gets in that spot.

My fireplace really barely puts out heat. It's mostly decorative. Back when I had one I used for heat, it would get kind of warm in front of it, but not really at all off to the side of it. Clearly, I had a different set up than @StirCrayzy .

I have a tall ceilings like you.

I know that *I* wouldn't be concerned at all putting my tank right next to my fireplace off to the side. In fact, I thought of that before. In part I didn't just because in my particular room it made that side of the room look "too busy", but heat was never even something I was worried about. But, clearly our experiences vary. I can't think of anything to do but light it up and see. :)