placement of crocea clams?

wooddood

the wood dude
where shoul crocea clams be placed in the tank?i have read that shoul be placed on the rock work but most of the pictures ive seen they are on the bottom in the sand.thanks in advance. dave.

jks1

I dont personnaly have one but a buddy of mine has several. He burries a flat rock of a piece of acrylic just under the sand and lets the clam attach to that.

Witfull

they a high light requiring clam, they like to secure themselves to a solid suface, if you have strong light at the bottom of the tank bury a rock in the sand so they can anchor.

mredman

Depending the amount of light (croceas like intense lighting), you can place them at the bottom of the tank or on live rock. Croceas can actually dissolve the surrounding rock and will become a permanent fixture within its "host" rock.

Mike

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Agree with all above, croceas are a boring clam and bore into rock, therefore they will appreciate being on a roc rather than sand, which is why burying a rock just under the surface of the sand is such a good idea.

If your going to embark on the clam adventure...I highly recommend buying Giant Clams by Daniel Knopp.

Dennis7

Wooddood,
Mine looks like it's on the sand but my crocea is attached to a rock and the maxima is attached to a shell. I just cover the rock and shell with sand.
I agree with reefrunner on the Giant Clam book, by Knop, Excellent book.

Craig Manoukian

Dave,

In reading your signature I see you have PC lighting. Barry N. of www.ClamsDirect.com really promotes MH lighting for the Crocea's as they require intense lighting for the zoanthalea.

If I recall correctly from the photo you posted, you have placed your purple Crocea up on your rocks. You may need to place it higher in the tank to ensure adequate light intensity.

:) :D ;) :p :cool: :smirk:

wooddood

the wood dude
im just running pc's right now.im trying something.mh's coming soon though.thanks all.thats why i've got him up high on the rocks.