Pipefish addition?

mrlimpet

I've had a biocube 14 for more than 1.5 years now and am wanting to add something a little different like a seahorse or pipefish. I have already ruled out the seahorse for several reasons, but have seen mixed reviews on the web about the pipefish (an easy banded type, eating frozen). Currently I have an occelaris clownfish, a yellow watchman goby, a green clown goby, and a bangaii cardinal along with xenia, dendrophylia, some mushrooms, serpent star, and hermits/snails. I know there are people who would add a pipefish at this point and others who wouldn't, any ideas??? Also if its just because the clownfish is in the tank that it wouldn't work, I may be willing to give it back to the LFS. Thank you!

carlfike

That seems like a pretty big bioload for a 14. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

lcstorc

I wouldn't add a pipefish. It is very hard to get one that will eat prepared or frozen food. They all want live food. That is hard enough to deal with in general but would be a lot worse with all of the competition in the tank. IMO your tank is already overstocked so anything that leads to more uneaten food would push you over the limit.

lcstorc

It lists their diet as brine which are likely live. Regardless of that brine have very little nutrition and they will need a variety of other foods.
And finally I will admit. I tried it twice in a 24g with and without other fish in the tank and they died pretty quickly both times. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did.