Pink Head Frogspawn Issue

I have a 38g reef and it has been up & running for almost a year. I noticed my pink head frogspawn acting weird which one of its four heads has not been extending for a few days now. Other three heads are extending fine. I checked PH n temp and they are in the normal range, calcium is around 320 which I feel it is on the low end of the spectrum.

I also did a 15% w/c last night and everyone seems happy with the new water except the pink frogspawn head isn't extending. I'm just hoping things will change to the brighter side. I really dont know what to do. Were you guys in the similar situation before?

corrado007

Do you have any fish in the tank that might nip at LPS? I've actually seen a peppermint shrimp shredding up a head of frogspawn. Hopefully that's not your problem.

TylerHaworth

320 Calcium is low... Extremely low, like... dangerously low... I can't imagine pH being in an acceptable range with a Ca+ reading of 320... What is your alkalinity? Lighting? Flow?

The frogspawn has been in my tank for several months and it has never had any issues until now.

I don't have any fish that will nip at corals (clown, fathead n yellowtang with two fire shrimps).

Isn't the normal calcium level should be around 380? So I 330 isn't too far from it. PH at 8.2 last time I tested. I dont' normally test my water since everything look fine and I do 20% w/c weekly, sometimes 10% twice a week.

My lighting is 36" Sundial T5 4x39w with ATI bulbs and GE 6500. Bulbs are only three weeks old.

My flow sux, Koralia 2 and Maxijet 600. My tank is 36" long. So not all corals are getting the flow. I want to get a Vortech MP10, but it's too expensive, not as reliable as other powerheads.

nos2074

380 is the lowest it should ever reach. Range is 450 - 380. I keep mine at 440. So yes you are very low and need to work on getting that up.

nos2074

I really don't know how you have a normal ph with a Ca of 320 and an alk of 7.3dkh. These 3 thing affect each other. One being off can throw the others out of wack. You have 2 out of wack so I would bet the Ph is off also. Try fixing those and see what happens.

I really don't know how you have a normal ph with a Ca of 320 and an alk of 7.3dkh. These 3 thing affect each other. One being off can throw the others out of wack. You have 2 out of wack so I would bet the Ph is off also. Try fixing those and see what happens.

I use Salifert test kit for Calcium and Alk/KH. API high PH fresh/salt water test kit for PH and I just test the water again, it is at 8.2. I tested PH after the lights have been on for about four hours. I'm assuming the PH would be lower in the morning since my photo period is between 4 to 9 pm.

MaxxdOut

Have the tests expired? Some LFS' will test your parameters for you as well. That may help to rule in (or out) PH parameter issues.

TylerHaworth

320 Calcium and 7DKH would lead to a very unstable pH - it could be in "normal" range for periods of time, but is more than likely fluctuating rapidly and unpredictably

380 should be the bare minimum for Calcium, and 420-460 should be the true target... The same applies to DKH - 8 minimum, ~10 should be your goal.

Can you add limewater to the tank? I wouldn't, I would dose Calcium and Alkalnity separately until you get them back to where they should be.

Lighting that you listed should be sufficient.

Flow is probably low, as you stated - I'd try my best to up it a little, or a lot.

The statement about Vortechs not being reliable, that's just not true at all, especially in comparison to other powerheads.