Pink Birds Nest Advice

Pat24601

So, just last night I was looking at my 2 birds nest and thinking how cool it was they were looking so good and had so much growth. In fact, my concern was that my green one had grown so big it had grown into my purple monti and I don't have room for all 3 because of my aqua scape.

I was even thinking what a nice color my pink birds nest had become.

Well, as I was putting in my moonlights I accidentally knocked my pink birds nest over and come to find out basically the entire bottom half is bleached out white. It just wasn't visible from my tank.

So, my question is should I frag it and get rid of the breached out white part?

Also, what might have caused this? My first guess is lack of light and/or circulation making it to the bottom part of the coral.

Oxylebius

This is normal for the birds nest. Since they grow so dense with branches, their own branches block water flow and light the base of the coral.

You can now think of this as an opportunity. You can take the birdsnest and divide it and place it in several other locations in your tank. You can also glue it or a frag of it in the same place that it was at. It should grow back w/o issue.

In the future what you can do to prevent this from happening is to keep the lower branches of the birds nest trimmed to keep it the branches thinned. Or you can just leave it to grow out how it usually does b/c as you say it wasn't having any problems. Dying at the base like this is normal for these corals.

Pat24601

Well, I fragged it tonight. I don't have place for all the frags, but I shoved them all somewhere. We will see what happens. :)