Pineapple Coral or Tooth Coral?

I purchased this coral at my LFS and the gentleman there told me it was a Pineapple Coral and I don't think I have ever seen one that looks like this. The only thing I can find on line is a Tooth Coral which describes this guy to a tee. Let me know what you all think... Thanks, Jim

Here is the description I found on line, click on this site: Tooth Coral

Here are a couple of photos I took of mine.
IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

marine281

I'd say its a Torch coral- see the link at the bottom of the tooth coral page you provided.

You might want to do something about those aipatasia on the rock around it before they get out of control. Joes juice works well, as do Peppermint shrimp as long as there is nothing in the tank that will eat them :)

HSLocal

I agree with you, looks like a small Galaxea aka Tooth. The tentacles? don't look thick enough for a Torch. I wonder why your LFS said it was a Pineapple, to my knowledge nothing with a common name of Pineapple looks like that.

I also agree with marine281, definitely get rid of those aipatasia. They can be invasive and sting. HTH

I agree with you, looks like a small Galaxea aka Tooth. The tentacles? don't look thick enough for a Torch. I wonder why your LFS said it was a Pineapple, to my knowledge nothing with a common name of Pineapple looks like that.

I also agree with marine281, definitely get rid of those aipatasia. They can be invasive and sting. HTH

I am a novice and when he said Pineapple I looked at him with a very confused look on my face. I asked him if he was sure because I couldn't see anything about it that looked even remotely like a Pineapple. I thought it was a small Mushroom Leather. Jim

I'd say its a Torch coral- see the link at the bottom of the tooth coral page you provided.

You might want to do something about those aipatasia on the rock around it before they get out of control. Joes juice works well, as do Peppermint shrimp as long as there is nothing in the tank that will eat them :)

I think my coral is much closer to the Tooth Coral. It looks like the tentacles on the Torch Coral are much thicker than mine.

Aiptasia: Yeah they are getting bad, I posted a thread about taking care of them in the beginners section this morning. I ordered a bottle of Joe's Juice and it should be here in a couple of days. Seems all the other stuff I tried only made it worse. Jim

+1 on the Galaxea definitely not a torch. But one sure way to see if it is really a "tooth coral" is to look at at night time for the next couple of weeks. If it sends out sweepers I would go with a tooth coral! http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:.../www.fishworld.com/img/032902/032902-105m.jpg Oh yeah Beware those sweepers are very aggressive I highly suggest keeping that coral at least a minimum of 4" from any other coral.
I hope this helps..

This is one of the main reasons I thought it was a Galaxea, if you look closely at the photos I posted you can see a few of the sweepers partially extended. I noticed that they get about 5 or 6 inches long as soon as my accent light comes on in the evening. I am convinced the gentleman at the LFS had this one all wrong. Oh yes, and I made sure to give it plenty of room so it doesn't cause problems with the other corals.

Thanks for the input, Jim