pico reef

mps9506

Anyone with a pico reef in here?
I have a new project starting up and just wanted to see if anyone else has something along the lines in here.
I have a 1.5gallon trimless tank, I'll get a picture up later. I'll probably get it started up next week. Should be a fun project, will probably consist of a small peice of live rock and a mushroom or two, and sometype of shrimp in there.

hooterhead

i had one. i've moved up to what is called a nano cause it's more than 2.5 gallons. my new one is 5 gal.

here's a pic of my old 2 gal.
DSCF0262.jpg

the way that i found to get smaller corals is to find frags at LFS's. they'll usually cut you great deals on stuff that has broken off of larger main colonies.

and here's my new tank. just for comparison.
DSCF0560.jpg

hooterhead

yeah i didn't have enough room in the 2 for what i wanted. my hand didn't even fit in it to do things. every time i wanted to move something it was, take water out, move rocks, do whatever i wanted to do, then put everything back. and i've had a blast setting the 5 gallon up! hopefully i'll be getting some supercolor zoa's this weekend. well that's the plan anyway...

just for comparison...this was the 2 when i started it. this pic was about 3 weeks into it. and everything has at least doubled in size since putting it in the 5.
DSCF0066.jpg

mps9506

Looks good.
I have no probs with getting corals, between local frag groups and my store I can find what I want.
Currently I am on a misson to figure out what I will do for light. Luckily I made a few contacts when in vegas a few weeks ago, so I've been getting catalogs and price lists for new products coming out or just out. I think I will find something in there...

hooterhead

that 2 gal had the only bulb that would fit in there. a 10 watt coralife 50/50 that screws into an incandescent socket. they make it in a 20watt as well but it was too big. my 5 has a coralife 2x18watt 50/50 fixture.

G

Gymshoes

I'm stunned at the number of critters in these tanks. Beautiful pictures! I've really enjoyed browsing through the nano and pico reefs in this forum. (I've been lurking here prior to registering.) :)

I'm not sure I understand what consitutes a light or heavy bioload in a reef tank.

It's a lovely little pico reef. :) I hope mine does as well.