pic of my blue hippo...

sailman

im sure its ich.. the rest of the fish look fine but he looks rough..

i posted asking for reef safe advice.. needless to say im kinda lost as what to do..

hes eating, swimming, acting completely like nothing is wrong.. all the others since being feed some garlic are out swimming no hiding, color looks good and i really dont see any on them at all.. but poor tang!!

any advice will be helpful!!!

2e3o4n6.jpg

2aj4a68.jpg

4dg419w.jpg

Warnberg

Can you catch him? If you can get him out of there and QT the fish, drop salinity down in QT tank to Hypo level, that will help the fish. Once he gets over this one he may actually build an immunity to the parasite. For your tank to be truly ich free you will need to leave it fish-less for at least 8 weeks.

Hippo tangs are about the most susceptible to ich I have ever dealt with.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Apart from the ICH, he looks fat and healthy.

I suggest you remove all fish and place in a CYCLED quarantine tank then treat them with either copper or a hyposalinity treatment. Meanwhile the main display will go fallow (fish free) for 6-8 weeks and will starve out the remaining ICH.

With that said, I had a tang that recovered from ICH Just like yours pictured above with no problems after approx 4 months. The spots would come and go (normal ICH life cycle) and eventually never came back.

Although mine built up an immunity to them, I have read that fish can die from ICH so it is best to be safe and treat them.

prow

yup i would QT all fish for 6-8weeks like already said and isolate the tang in a hyposalinity hospital tank, in which ich's membranes cant not handle the osmotic pressures in the free living stage. feed good nutrious foods. let the tang sit until he goes at least 6 weeks with out any sings of it before returning to the main tank. you can also raise the temp in the QT to speed up the life cycles of ich.

l3atman3

Do you have a skunk cleaner? My hippo gets some ick but then is usually cleaned of in a few days. This might be the least stressful option for the fish

Also I feed nori after soaking in a vitamin solution. This should help build the fish's immunity.

i have heard garlic works but i have not had much luck. It just sinks to bottom.

increasing the temp might work also. I keep my reef around 80 degrees.

kimm

Just QT him. I tried the Kick Ich and it did not work at all. After all was said and done, I also took the Tang back to the store. The only hope for that fish was Prozac! I have not had Ich since! Knock on wood....=)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Wow that appears to be a serious infection I don't know if he'll make it without treatment in a QT with copper or hyposalinity. If he develops secondary bacterial infections he won't have a chance IMHO.

BTW welcome to RS Kimm

sailman

Thanks for all the help, I dont have a QT and if I did I think the move would kill him. Im going to try Kick Ick. The temp is set around 80. I cant beleve the mark up the LFS gets on stuff, Kick Ick 22.00 online 32.00 Lfs. I needed it so I took the hit.

kimm

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I have actually been reading the threads here in RS since I ventured into the land of reef. Extremely helpful and informative.

Good luck Sailman, hopefully you will get better result from Kick Ich than I did. After 14 days, and all the fish getting Ich, I had to tear down and QT.

Jorgens

I lost my hippo. He couldn't handle it. the rest have built an immunity. I would like to cure the system but trying to catch fish in a reef tank is almost impossible with out taking the whole thing apart.

If he pulls thru he may be able to handle it in the future. Feed garlic and vitamins and try to keep him healthy as you can.

sailman

Got up this morning and my yellow tang is in a bad way. He had no signs of ick untill today, atleast none i could see... looks like he will be gone when I get home. :(

sailman

Well I got the call at work and the yellow tang passed on, one of the two grammas I cant find the other want eat. :( :(

lgerold

I'm very sorry. My blue hippo got ich when we got him. Almost killed him doing a freshwater dip. Pulled through in the end.

I hope the others are OK. Here's a little Karma...