essmaker

PREMIUM
For those of you who use phytoplankton or other coral/invert food:

What brand /type do you use

and

How often do you use it

Thanks!

Dennis7

DT's and Liquid Life are my main two I use.
Sometimes I use ESV's spray-dried Marine Phytopankton.
Alsp Kent's Zooplex on occassions.

Witfull

ive been trying to get my LFS to get some cyclopeeze, i have heard great tings about it, if you can find it, i have heard the frozen is better than freeze-dried.

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
The reason it costs so much shipped is cause it has to stay refrigerated or else the plankton die. I am lucky that the LFS happens to have it, and Marine Depot is just up the freeway. As long as we are asking q's about food what exactly are golden pearls and cyclopeeze?? Doesnt Cyclo come in a big brick, is it difficult or messy to break up and feed?

EdgeKrusher

I'm getting block of cycloeeze this weekend. My friend on TRT sells the stuff, I can't wait to see it in action. I've heard crazy good things about it. :D

Peace

EK

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Essmaker I think the best way to appoach it would be, "what exactly are you trying to feed" Thier are a number of things in the tak, including a number of coarls that all have defering requirements when it comes to food.
let us know, then it is easier to give you the right type of food for that type of coral.

Mike

Flipper

Sturgeon General
I understand that the stuff loses all of it's nutritional value if not kept refrigerated, although it can still be fed.

essmaker

PREMIUM
I have a hammer, frogspawn, shrooms and a bunch of buttons
and star polyps, and various feather dusters .

I realize that not all of these would take advantage of phyto.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Kent Marine Phytoplex?

jks1

i also use DTs and Aquatic Eco-Systems zooplankton, usually every other or third day. Fish and corals seem to enjoy it.

sharks

Contributing Member
I use golden pearls in 3 sizes and Tahitian blend. My corals open wide shortly after feeding the blend. I am very weary of reefing any micro foods. It’s too easy to over do it. Then an algae outbreak can occur. I keep it down to maybe 1 feeding per week.
But I am open to suggestions :D
S

ReefLady

Staff member
DT's or that frozen bio-plankton stuff once per week on average, and about 1/3 the recommended dose.

Some of my softies definitely seem to benefit from target feedings of it... particularly my colt (Alcyonium) and leathers. And I notice that #@%#$ anthelia taking over everything loves it too LOL.

I also believe that dosing some phyto benefits corals that don't directly eat phytoplankton, because the phyto feeds certain sandbed infauna, adn this sets off a food-chain reaction (cool, new term!) that ends with more zooplankton and other goodies that corals like.

T

nigle

Oi!

In refference to DT's has anyone ever had a 'problem' with it? I'm using it but my regular LFS refused to carry it. It's been fine for me [I think?]. The last batch really had a smell, so I took it back. The store owner said it was fine and proceeded to pour some into their 'show' tank. "Yes it has more of an odor than before but it's fine" So I'm using it.

Also I use Reef snow, Reef solution, and all the kent products.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!