Photo Printers

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I hope this is the right place for this-

I recently came across an awesome deal on an HP Photosmart 7550, last years model, but an awesome printer it looks like. It has that little preveiw screen and a card reader built in. The print resolution is 4800x1200 dpi. I was impressed by the quality of my Deskjet 932C @ 2400x1200 dpi. For about $60 is that a good deal? I need to buy new ink cartriges for my 932C, but found this for the same price as some new cartriges, and it comes with the ink. I have always been a fan of HP printers, don't like anything else from them tho.

Spooda420

I have a cannon mp730 printer/fax/copier/scanner. LOVE IT. it can print (on photo paper of course) a full 8.5 x 11 picture rival to a real developed picture. It is VERY hard to tell the difference. the color and clarity is outstanding.

i know that does not help, but look outside of HP

ReefLady

Staff member
HP printers do have some good print quality. I prefer Epson, but HP will definitely do the job. I was going to recommend against HP because I kn ow they chip their cartridges so third parties can't sell cheaper cartridges. However, a quick look here

http://dealink.com/prices/printers/525.html

Tells me it seems the third parties have found a way around it. Which is extremely good. A couple years ago I got a great deal on an HP printer, only to find out I had to pay just as much for every ink cartridge as I did the printer. Glad to see that situation is better. But I still hate HP for that practice... downright extortion if you ask me.

T

Jakets

I will agree with Travis the Epson technology is far superior to pretty much anything out there. But $60 is $60 if your happy with the results I would go for it.

On a another note printing large amounts of photos on and home ink jet system will run considerably more expensive than taking you pictures to a one hour photo lab.

Jason

wooddood

the wood dude
:D hmmm good info i'll be looking into a photo printer in the near future so good info for me thanks all.

dave.:p

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Thanks for the good info. I think I'm gonna get it, its actually $49.99+tax. Its out of the box, but brand new w/ factory tape on it, and includes the ink, so its sounds good to me. I know the ink is expensive, thats why I don't want to get new cartriges for my 3 year old 932C. It would cost me $60 for ink for the other one, or ~$55 for a new printer thats much better, and replacement ink, tho it has 3 cartriges (photo, color, and black) it will still only cost ~$50 for replacements.

BoomerD

I'm gonna side with the Epson as well...I've owned Epsons for almost 10 years, and no complaints. They are made by Seiko, and the quality shows to me...My son had a HP computer a few years back, and had nothing but troubles with it, and hated dealing with their costomer support. I refuse to do any business with them as a result of that experience...

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I hate HP computers, monitors, and cameras, but love their printers. At work, I asked the techs which PCs we sell have the most problems, and they said HP, and Compaq (who are one in the same now), and they said even the cheapie Emachines are better. I've owned an old Epson, about 10 years ago, it was like their "state of the art color printer" it had a full 640x 480 or something like that. I liked it, but it broke down after about 6 years. Then I got a lexmark, that thing just ate the $30 a peice ink catrriges away like no tomorrow. Then I got my HP, and have loved it ever since.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
FWIW, I've had an HP 5550 for the last couple of years and you can't tell the difference between it and walmarts 1 hour 8 X 10's and they use a FujiFrontier.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I ended up not getting it, I decided I'd rather get the sump added to my tank rather than spend $50 on a printer, plus I found out it didn't have a power cord with it. I am just going to buy ink from that link Travis posted today, for cheaper.

FateX8

hmmm thats interesting
never knew seiko made epson
and i like their watches
that'll probably be my next printer
right now i have an hp 3-in-1 and a lexmark 3-in-1 and they work perfectly well
i've have the hp for about 4 years i think and the lexmark for 2 but still kickin it up
only problem is the ink costs, but as long as you dont buy them retail it should be fine
and with 2 other roomates usin up the ink i'm usually not the one payin for that
lol good choice on the sump though fidojoe
mike

ReefLady

Staff member
RR I had the 5550 as well, it was good quality but my epson spanks it pretty handily.

That did make me think, though, you guys all kn ow it's really important to use good paper right?

Here's a link to good brand-name paper for incredibly cheap. Have ordered from them a couple times, they're fast and reliable.

http://www.atlex.com/

T

BigReepher

I have the HP 7960. Print quality is second to none. It prints in 8 colors and an honest to goodness true grey scale. No reddish tint in those B/W pics anymore. The bad part is that it uses 4 ink cartridges and it was way pricey. It's been worth it so far though. I love it!

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Well, maybe one day next year I'll upgrade printer, but to be honest with the prices you can get from a 1 hour photo place using a good printer....not sure it's worth it, except not having to drive the 25 miles to get there.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Too bad you're not in AZ, theres a Fry's (Kroger), or a Walgreens, or a Target on almost every corner that does Photos, and a Costco every 10-15 mi. From what I understand stuff in FL is far apart.

drdrew

be careful sometimes brand new printers come only with starter cartidges that don't have much ink. i've been researching and am currently considering the EPSON R200. it's only about 99 bux, and gets rave reviews from professional photogs.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I did end up buying it today, still have to get the power cord for it tho. The carts it came with are full size, and I also talked to the HP rep who comes into my work, and she said that she could get me some new ones free too.

Maxx

I have an Epson photo 820. Good lil printer. Does a great job with image reproduction, and not too hard on the bank account either. If I were really hard core about my phot printing, I'd probably go w/ an Epson 2200, but I dont have a digital camera thats worth a crap right now.....so.
Just my two cents,
Nick