Photo Critique Thread

ReefLady

Staff member
The idea for this came up in another thread, I think it could be a learning experience for us all.

Here are my ideas of how this thread should work:

People should first understand that this is for serious critiquing of photographs in the interest of learning and improving. This means that the people who post their pics for critique should be prepared for honest (possibly brutally) constructive criticism.

It also means that people who respond should offer insight rather than just pats on the back. A pat is nice, but it doesn’t help people improve. There are plenty of places to give that pat on the back, I fear if this becomes one of them then we’ll have to change the name to “check out these cool member photos!”

Secondly, there are many people here who are talented photograpers, regardless of technical knowledge. You don’t have to use proper terminology to get your point across. I’m starting the thread, and will actively participate, but if this becomes the “have travis critique your photo” thread then again it has failed. So jump in and contribute your opinion, regardless of your knowledge. There’s a lot to be said for “looks a little dark to me.” Or “I wish that coral in the background wasn’t fuzzy.”

ReefRunner, Maxx, Witfull, Mitchell, DrDrew…. I’m calling you out here. You all have proven some knowledge of photography and are all interested in learning more about it. We need participation from you and anyone else with those traits on this thread.

This is a summary of how I think the thread should work. This is open to debate, I’m just taking the initiative and offering my opinion. If you feel it should be done differently, by all means say so!

If it’s popular enough we might make it a forum, but I shy away from creating forums that don’t get used long-term (see “Clams” and “Prop tank”). So we’ll have to see on that.

Some basics for posting here should be, IMO:

-Post ONE pic at a time. No larger than 800 pixels (thereabout) on its largest axis.
-If possible, include equipment, shutter/aperture, ISO, flash, etc. information as well as what editing was done (i.e., levels, contrast, etc)
-Since this is a thread, please be respectful to those on dial-up and keep the images to a reasonable size. If you’re posting photos here, I would hope you’ve got that part down, but if not PM me and I’ll help you out.

I’m sure other useful guidelines will come up.

Woodstock - you Pmed me for a critique, so you’re on deck buddy…. Let’s see it!

Travis

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Sure thing! :)

Let's use "mel's" picture.

Nikon coolpix 995
2x telephoto (NOT the digital)
no flash
no tripod
preset AWB to aquarium gravel
tank lighting was only 2x 250 watt 10k MH (no actinics were on)
200 ISO
NO EDITING WAS DONE TO THIS PIC

That's all I know for specs.

61Mel-med.jpg

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
OK here’s an example of a good pic that needs a levels adjustment in photo-editing software. If you don’t have Photoshop, I would recommend dialing down the exposure compensation and bumping up the in-camera contrast. Digital cameras are made to be used with editing software. This gives the sensor more flexibility or “margin for error” if you will. Consequently, most pics need a levels adustment. I will do an adjustment on the pic tonight and re-post it here. It looks like you’ve got good focus on this one, and it’s a very nice scene. I also see, however, that you didn’t clean the glass before taking this pic. That’s a big way to improve your photos dramatically. It really makes a huge difference.

T

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Allow me to try...
The traditional AutoLevel mod in PhotoShop made this one look funky. So I decided to modify each channel manually. First I looked at each channel by itself, taking note of what areas would be effected by the channel mixer. I noticed that blue and green would be the best bet for modding. In the blue channel, I increased more blue than green and moved the red slider down a bit. For the green channel, i increased more green than blue and again, decreased the red. And finally, I moved the red slider in the red channel down a bit, just to bring out the blues in your Caulastrea. And ofcourse I used the Reef-Life actions provided by Travis...
If I were to reshoot this one, i would have tried to shoot "up" more than down. In general when it comes to underwater photography, shooting down confuses your subject with the background.

jks1

Wood- I have a toshiba PDR-M700. I want to try and figure out this WB thing. Did you just put in WB set mode and snap a pic of the gravel? The reason I ask is the fish is in good focus but the backgroung seems a little bright.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
OK, first thing I notice is that you used an ISO of 200, luckily it didn't show up much in this pic, and doesn't too bad with that cam, but the higher ISO (unless you got a DSLR that will shoot at ISO 1600 and still be smooth) the more noise (or graininess) shows up in the photo. The macro you posted yesterday of the same fish was a bit noisy. I would shoot in ISO 100 unless condition prevent it. Did you run it through the coolpic ISO noise reducing action I sent you?

I had excellent results for WB using either the sand bed or the coffee filter trick.

I think there is just the tiniest bit of camera shake in the photo.

That is one heck of alot better than the first macros I took with that cam ;) I musta broke it in just right, LOL.

I also think it was compressed a tad too much, I see artifact off the edges of the fish.

I went ahead and ran it through my first run actions I do (sometime I have to start ver and go with different ones, these do not work with every photo) and then because of the sharpening I ran it through a noise reducing action.

For anyone that wants to play with them, I'll post the actions in a minute, the digital darkroom set of actions should work with PS, PS elements and there is supposed to be a way to use them with PSP.

EdgeKrusher

Ok let's here it. I've been looking for constructive criticism, and haven't got it. I get alot of "nice pics", "good shot", but let me know what I can improve

Canon 10D
Iso 100
fstop 4.5
lense is a 28 - 90 mm wide angle lense
tripod was used
no flash

43CabbageLeather0304-med.jpg

you can view the big version in my gallery. This is to be nice to the dial upers.

let me have it, and don't be nice because you think you might hurt my feelings.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
OK, I think this is another one that could be improved with some photochopping. I also think I would have gone with a smaller aperture (read larger f-stop, fwiw, I learned last night why it is smaller hole = larger number, cause it is a fraction. F/8 is 1/8 (whatever unit of measure for the iris opening for the shutter). I also think that the subject does not occupy enough of the picture and the edges tend to blend in with the rock. FWIW I think this photo would have benifited from a flash as well, off to the side to fill in the shadows.

TDEVIL

ok, i know most of my problem is that i wont take the time to sit down and learn the cam, i am more for learning as you go, that isnt always the best way, lol, so that is one of my issues

the main problem i have is with taking pics of fish, hmmm, a wrasse for example, :), when i actually get the pose that i want, it is a bit blurry, i know this might have a lot to do with the fish moving a lot

i could always use pointers with taking pics of corals, i have a few in my gallery

the only thing i did to this pic was crop and resize, i dont have PS, yet

i have the finpix S7000 (same as Kevin's)
no flash or lens used
i had the shutter maxed, not sure what its max is
and i couldnt use the t-pod, the wrasse is all over the tank
i didnt pay attention to the numbers @ the bottom of the LCD, i just turn the wheel thingy till the pic is bright enough (that is a tech term, isnt it, lol)

ok, here is is, dont be to harsh, lol

Jay

Cougra

Edgecrusher:

I just checked out the larger version in the Gallery and find that it's a lot nicer then the one that appears here. You can make out a lot more detail on the actual coral a lot more clearly like a few of the polyps, instead of focusing on so much rock. I would try cropping it so the coral takes up more then half the actual photo.

However, I do like the play of shaddows and the appearance of the light highlighting the coral, but it would have worked better with a brighter coloured subject.

drdrew

also, i think seeing the glue is not very attractive.
i like the use of stone as a "natural frame" to the photo, but the coral itself would need to be about 10 times as big, then you'd have something.

to all: do not try to photograph at an angle to the front glass.
straight on will create the best focus. some angles will be unable to achieve anything near focus.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Jay, do you have photoshop? you should be able to pull the petinent info off the pic in photoshop, if not it is available in the finepix viewer. Aside from the pic being noisy need the other info to help much more. For a flasher wrasse I would almost certainly use a flash and ramp the shutter up to about 1/500 in shutter priority mode. Or shoot at the highest f-stop (smallest aperture) the cam will let you and if it isn't bright enough...you can slow the shutter to 1/250.

ReefLady

Staff member
EK- please, please, please get your hands on a better lens. Your $1500 body is not being done justice with that 28-90. for that photo, I would definitely crop it, but I think the lens is handicapping your efforts. Also, you need to think about composition. The coral is dead center in the frame. Which is fine for an illustrative snapshot, but the composition leaves much to be desired. Try imagining the viewfinder in thirds both vertically and horizontally. Think about how to achieve a nice composition with your subject anywhere but in the middle third. (I'm only speaking to the photo you posted... not sure if maybe you've already worked on composition with other shots)

TDevil- I think you stopped the motion of the fish pretty nicely, at the cost of an extremely noisy shot. Was that cropped/digital zoomed? Or shot at ISO400 or something? i think this photo can be "fixed" with the right software, Fredmiranda's noise reduction action for one thing, and a good levels adjustment wouldn't hurt either.

T

sharks

Contributing Member
OUCH!
I think I'm getting dumber by the post here.
I really need to read the manual for my camera LOL
I am going to follow this thread well and maybe look into a local photography class.
Sorry I can’t offer the shooters help but along with you I am learning.
Thanks you for that and this thread ;)
S

dickie52

I think I am starting to get the hang of this photo stuff, here is a pic of my favorite dwarf seahorse......

horse.JPG

dickie52

Ok, I used Photoshop to clean it up a bit and take some of the noise out of it, I think it really helped.....

preggomale.JPG