Phosphate test kits........what's the point?

Whipitup

If you have an algae problem in your tank and text for phosphate's you will probably get a reading of zero as the algae is using up all the phosphate's to grow.

If you don't have an algae problem and test for phosphate's you will probably get a reading of zero as you don't have a phosphate problem.

So.............why buy one???

alphasierra

haha... I've wondered that too. I had an API test kit then bought a Salifert test kit. Both read zero so I must have Phosphate's!

steveh

Algae can be caused by a number of factors, (phosphate, silicate, nitrate etc). If you are using an accurate test kit and you have algae such as hair algae for example, then you will probably get a reading. The phosphate test is designed to show whether this is the cause of problems. If you get zero PO4 reading and have algae then you have elminated this as a cause, and should check NO3, Silicate etc.

Whipitup

Algae can be caused by a number of factors, (phosphate, silicate, nitrate etc). If you are using an accurate test kit and you have algae such as hair algae for example, then you will probably get a reading. The phosphate test is designed to show whether this is the cause of problems. If you get zero PO4 reading and have algae then you have elminated this as a cause, and should check NO3, Silicate etc.

I knew there must be a reason!!!!.....it's just that an algae problem is usually associated with phosphates.

new reefer 03

i can never get a dang accurate reading form those. all of the colors are too close for me to tell, it usually seems to be .25 or 0 for me.

CrazeUK

hahah i agree.
My nitrates which i cant seem to get to zeron but i can get to very very low.

I use salifert..and the colours are far too close.

Whipitup

Well, I had my water tested with the D+D PO4 test kit today, and ...... you've guess it, I have high Phosphates even though I don't have much algae growth.

So added Rowaphos tonight, and will be doing more than usual water changes.

The Phosphates (I reckon) came from the water I used from my LFS to fill the tank about a month ago.....the water from my RO unit are zero.

Bummer............... :(

Whipitup

I forgot to add..............within half an hour of adding the Rowaphos, the polyps on my branching Monti have finally started to open.

:bouncer: :bouncer: :bouncer: :bouncer:

CrazeUK

Well glad you found your issue, and hopefully yoru source.

At least you got you RO unit.

I am suspecting i have a phosphate issue, so need to go get a phos test kit tomorrow.

CrazeUK

hahah my Salifert ones cost about £8 each test lol.
Oh wow didnt realise rowaphos was that good?
What did you pack it in?

CrazeUK

Lol i asked mrs for some yesterday she goes..huh stockings who wears stockings? lol
Then i ran around the house for nylon netting for windows..realised we dont have that either..