pH

FallChinook

My pH has consistently run 8.6. I test with the Red Sea mini-lab test kit. I have read that you should be concerned if your pH gets too low, but what about too high? I have read that I want to keep it from 8.2-8.4......I'm new to this, but trying to learn! Any help is appreciated!

ReefLady

Staff member
8.6 is an awfully high sustained reading. I'd bet that it's a bit lower if you test it with a pinpoint pH meter. Also, pH is typically lower in the morning than late afternoon.
IME, sustained high pH is usually attributable to one of a couple things - either dosing (ca/alk supplements), or very poor aeration of the tank.
Before I took any "measures" to correct, I'd try to ensure that reading is accurate.

FallChinook

We have a RSM130, so I would assume aeration is adequate. We have never dosed with Ca or Mg, but this is a new setup with new LS and LR and the water mix is about 1 month old. Would that attribute to the high value?

ReefLady

Staff member
I wish I were the chemistry expert, but I am not. Is the pre-mixed water the same pH as the water in the tank? Hopefully someone else will chime in, and I'll see if I can track down Boomer. :)

FallChinook

We just mixed up some fresh water last night--I will test that when I get home. I originally bought the test strips and they read 8.6...then I 'upgraded' my test kit to the Red Sea master kit (looks like I should go with API or Salifert) and it still reads 8.6.....

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Initial pH of a fresh mix is usually high, until it equalibrates with the atmospheric CO, where it should then drop into the low 8's. You need to measure the pH of the tank

I originally bought the test strips

These work for crap, especially in seawater. Please file them circular container :)