pH rises in new tank

qsligh

I am in the process of setting up a new Solana 34gal reef tank. I went out and purchased sw from my lfs and all seem well. I have a pinpoint salinty monitor, aquacontroller with ph monitor & temp. My issue is with my pH rising. It seems that the pH is supposed to be 8.3 and my is btwn 8.41 - 8.51. I've calibrated my pH monitor and even purchased a "lab" grade monitor probe and the results are the same. I even emptied the tank, clean all the various parts and purchased new sw and still the same results even though the lfs says that their readings are at 8.2 for pH. I read where vinegar will lowe pH and it has, but after approx 24 hrs, the readings are lower, but still not at 8.3. I don't want to make the same mistakes of the past and dive in head first, but want to ensure that all my parameters are corrrect prior to moving forward. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I even tested the water with conventional testing methods and tested for hardness and the hardness is within allowable parameters and the pH readind matched the monitor. My question is, am I being TOO paranoid or is there something that I am doing wrong? The only thing in the tank is water!:confused:

BobBursek

It is hard to call, you or what is giving the different readings between your readings and the LFS. At this point since there is nothing in the tank I would not worry about it too much, You could add some vinegar and lower it to 8.1 on your test stuff, and it would be 7.9 on your LFS and you would be in range no matter whose test are accurate. That way as you add your substrate and rock you can adjust PH as needed.

qsligh

rbursek,

Thanks for the pointed advice. I think I was freaking out a little. I so much want to get this right this time after spending a lot of money the first time only to get frustrated and quite. I will do as you advised and monitor it once I've moved along from this stage in my setup. You ROCK!!

BobBursek

You are too kind, but thank you. As you add your substrate, and rock, getting your big 3 Mg, Ca and Alk in line, and as your tank cycles you will see changes in PH. Until you start adding living things PH is not that important, go to the chem forum and read some of the stickies on water params for beginers.

qsligh

rbursek,

Here is the "cycling" procedures that Tampabay saltwater says I must follow for their products. Would you consider these procedures to be somewhat standard?

thanks,
Quentin

Attachments

• TampaBay Saltwater Setup Procedure.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: