Ph and Alkalinity numbers?

beasone

Happy Sunday! One easy question I think.. I ran the numbers on my water and had what looked like a PH of 8.2. My BF took the water to the LFS and they said our alkaline was low? So, my question is, what should the PH be? The kit I have does a high range, so did they just do a more extensive test?
Anyway he bought Reef Builder and I have added a teaspoon over the last couple of days.

(I have water curing and am getting ready to do a water change, mid week and will run levels again after that.) I hope to buy a fish next weekend. :heart:

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Alkalinity does not equate to pH. There are some good info on this site about water chemistry if you do a search. Alkalinity is the tanks ability to maintain pH, not pH itself. They are measured different.

IME, its a good practice not to add anything you can't test for, so an Alk test is a thought if you are adding buffer

beasone

thanks Clownfish! I have read all the stickies and honestly either my retention is not what it should be or I get a bit overwhelmed.. I did google it and somehow thought they were connected.

I agree, it looks like I have more precise testing in my future :(

I have tests for Ammonia, PH, Nitrates and those dreaded Nitrites...

Will look for Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium?

I can see that this hobby is a good test of patience! ;)

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I agree - patience was one of my harder lessons :)

I test for nitrates, alk, Ca, and Mg myself.

Think of the buffer as a pH reserve. If something is happening to affect pH, it withdraws from the buffer first. Then pH. Buffer = alk. This is a very simplistic statement, just meant to present the concept.

beasone

Wow! Those specific test kits are pricey.. have figured out I need to make sure my change-water is a-ok first and foremost.. so I guess I will take it to the LFS and have them check levels once the salt is mixed. Then I will do a full 50% water change this week. After the water change I should be able to add a fish.

Is there a link anywhere (have looked on here and google) that simply lists out the numbers on a happy tank?

Salinty =
PH =
Mag =
Cal =
Nitrates =
Nitrites = 0
Ammonia = 0

Not sure if I missed anything....

hma

Salinty = 34.5 - 35 or Density 1.0233
PH = 7.7 - 8.5
Mag = 1280 - 1350
Cal = 400 - 450
Nitrates =2 - 10 (better =0)
Nitrites = 0
Ammonia = 0

You've forgotten PO4, which should never be 0 but in the range of 0.01 - 0.03

beasone

thank you so much Heinz! I have been busy looking at your posts and those beautiful, beautiful pictures.

The Aqua Calculator? Is that a German only Software program? I Googled it, (that along with what you use as a supplement to your extra water) and couldn't find anything in English. :(

It seems you really know your stuff and I will keep my eye out for your posts.
thanks for taking the time to give me the numbers.. and I have made a sticky in my outlook with them.

Some day I hope to have the knowledge to be able to grow a little bigger than my 33gal.

Dankeschön !

hma

thank you so much Heinz! I have been busy looking at your posts and those beautiful, beautiful pictures.

The Aqua Calculator? Is that a German only Software program? I Googled it, (that along with what you use as a supplement to your extra water) and couldn't find anything in English. :(

It seems you really know your stuff and I will keep my eye out for your posts.
thanks for taking the time to give me the numbers.. and I have made a sticky in my outlook with them.

Some day I hope to have the knowledge to be able to grow a little bigger than my 33gal.

Dankeschön !

my plesure :biker

BTW, AquaCalculator is bilingual (English / German) you can while the installation select the language. Klick on the Link to the left and the download starts.