PFO MH Ballasts Choices

jrh4711

I am having trouble picking a MH system. I am looking at the four types of ballasts. Three are from Champion Lighting the fourth is from Marine Depot.

I would like to understand the differance between the four ballasts are.

I want to run 2 250w PFO Mini Pendants with 20,000 bulbs.

Also has anyone had any experiance with this brand.

Here are the four ballasts:

2x250 HQI PFO Ballast Assembly
FEATURES:. Tar style ballast (core and coil design). 120V 6' supply cord for each ballast. Extruded aluminum heat sink enclosure for maximum heat dissipation. Each ballast can be controlled by independent timers. Each ballast has an independent on-off switch. Quick disconnect for maximum versatility in socket mounting configurationsALL BALLASTS REQUIRE RETROFIT SOCKET MOUNTING HARDWARE, PENDANTS, OR COMPLETE HOODS

$343.75 x = $343.75

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2x250 PFO Ballast Assembly
FEATURES:. Tar style ballast (core and coil design). 120V 6' supply cord for each ballast. Extruded aluminum heat sink enclosure for maximum heat dissipation. Each ballast can be controlled by independent timers. Each ballast has an independent on-off switch. Quick disconnect for maximum versatility in socket mounting configurationsALL BALLASTS REQUIRE RETROFIT SOCKET MOUNTING HARDWARE, PENDANTS, OR COMPLETE HOODS

$218.75 x = $218.75

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2x250 PFO Pulse Start Ballast Assembly

$237.50 x = $237.50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
PFO 250 Watt Dual EYE Metal Halide Ballast

Item Code: PF1652
Our Price: $169.99 + $9.00*

Any help would be great.

reefman420

I have the pfo dual 250 watt halide ballast,ran on pfo sockets and reeflectors,I love them,my sps,clams,and anemones love them,very quite ballast,the aluminum dissipates heat really good.overall i give it a 9 out of ten,and u know u are getin quality when pfo are the makers of the solaris

reefman420

hqi are for double ended bulbs,puls start is hard on bulbs i would go with what i have the electronic ballast

reefman420

well i run xm 10ks,so its pretty white so i run 2x36 watt pc's for actinic,but if u run a nice blue 20k u shouldnt have to,ure electric bill might want u to,and remember u get better growth out of 10k's compared to 20ks

jrh4711

Is this is an electronic ballast?

2x250 PFO Ballast Assembly

$218.75 x = $218.75

How do I know it is an electronic ballast?
What does everyone think about baulb choice for my tank?
Planing on SPS, Claims, Softies, and some Zoos.

Last edited:

DaveK

I am having trouble picking a MH system. I am looking at the four types of ballasts. Three are from Champion Lighting the fourth is from Marine Depot.
I...
Any help would be great.

The correct answer is none of the above. All the ballasts you are looking at seem to be coil and core, also known as TAR ballasts.

When you get into MH lighting, electronic ballasts are "highly desirable", to the point where you almost always want to select them. They do cost more, but they will pay you back in about a year in the energy savings. Also, they run much cooler.

Since you have been looking at Champion Lighting, here is a link to their BlueLine electronic ballasts - Champion Lighting & Supply :: Lighting :: Metal Halide :: Metal Halide Ballasts :: BlueLine E-Ballast

The ballasts should work very well with the mini pendants you plan to use, and they do offer a dual 250w ballast, so you'd only need to get one.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
DaveK is right as usual...:lol:
AFA the bulb I would look for a bulb that has good PAR levels especially since your looking at keeping SPS and Clams. Do you like a white or blue look ? If your like a crisp white then I would go with the XM 10k if the bluer bulbs then the Reeflux 12k or Aquaconnect 14k would be a good choice,they have great PAR #'s. Just keep in mind that you need to acclimate your corals properly, especially with the XM bulbs.

DaveK

Is there any advantages or disadvantages to the 2 end bulbs or the socket type?

I would say that there are differences, but it's more an issue of what you are doing. When you are done, the quality of the light is similar, although I know people that swear by one bulb or the other.

DE bulbs can be installed in smaller spaces, and usually their fixtures have better reflectors. They seem to run hotter, mostly because that smaller fixture has to dissipate the heat. DE bulbs require UV blocking glass that can stand up to the heat. I'd say DE bulbs are a little bit tricky to install, compared with SE bulbs, where you just screw them in.

SE bulbs are often installed in larger fixtures, and tend to use reflectors that are not as good. However there are some very good reflectors for SE bulbs available.

You'll usually see DE bulbs used in all metal fixtures, mostly because of heat issues. SE bulbs tend to get used in full hoods.

If I were building my own hood or fixture, I'd most likely use SE bulbs. My personal preference would be to install them behind glass, Yes the glass is something else to clean, but any big amount of water than gets splashed on a MG bulb breaks it.

If I were buying a fixture, I'd give slight preference to DE bulbs only because the fixture can them be made smaller.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Is there any advantages or disadvantages to the 2 end bulbs or the socket type?

It all depends on the Ballast and reflector as DaveK mentioned. If you use an HQI ballast you'll get a drastic increase in PAR levels because the ballast overdrives the bulb BUT it'll decrease it's lifespan so you'll get more intensity but it'll be more costly to run since you need to replace the bulb more often.