Pet Mountain GREAT!!/FEDEX SMARTPOST BIG MISTAKE

zenzence

Hello,
I ordered a pump from petmountain.com great price shipped super fast, in fact it shipped next day and pump was 15 bucks cheaper than anywhere else. I got the free shipping via fedex smartpost. (before anyone says well its free or you get what you pay for I am just warning others) I live in Virginia pet mountain is in California. Usuall transit time for ups from CA maybe 7 days USPS maybe 4 days max. FEDEX smartpost I am on day 7 and it just got to some post office in WV which the package is now released from FEDEX and transfered to USPS. The estimated arrival is March 14!! WOW so it took 12 days to get a package from CA to VA really?? I just cant see how FEDEX is considering this to be a effective shipping system I am sure it save them money somewhere but wow I will never use this service again.

Just my thoughts
Chad Zenzen

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
FedEx Smartpost can be very slow. FedEx often transfers it to the USPS to deliver, and it really can extend the arrival time. In this case "Fed Ex" does not mean a quick delivery - just the opposite!

QuentinB

Agreed. I remember my first smartpost package - I wanted to slap someone through the internet! Although since then I have found that it usually arrives a day or two ahead of the estimated arrival time... And it is convenient that they can just drop it off in the mailbox(I live in a secure building, and have issues with Fedex/UPS getting in the door). So, I've since realized that it's not worth complaining about, just sit back, relax, and be happy for cheap shipping!

catran

Just an FYI, smartpost is transferred through the FedEx system very fast, pretty much the same time as 1-2 days. It is the processing/transfer from the PO and the processing/delivery time from the PO that takes up most of the time. You will always have a longer ship time when you have 2 different shippers handling your package.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Just an FYI, smartpost is transferred through the FedEx system very fast, pretty much the same time as 1-2 days. It is the processing/transfer from the PO and the processing/delivery time from the PO that takes up most of the time. You will always have a longer ship time when you have 2 different shippers handling your package.

You said it better than I did cat ^. The packages get to the destination pretty quick, then often sit for a few days before they get transferred to the final carrier - typically the local post office. I've seen that when using tracking. As Quentin said, they often arrive ahead of the expected date, but sometimes later.

catran

Yeah, I've seen a direct ship of mine from the PO get to me pretty quick, so I really don't understand. Of course, I've never seen the PO operation, only FedEx, so I don't know/can't comment on what their issue is. I believe zenzence is right, you get what you pay for. Also, even I have had to learn to read about shipping time with various shippers/products. Pet Mountain claims shipping time for FedEx SmartPost is 5-8 days but not guaranteed. So, there you have it...I know the feeling, you just want your stuff! :)