Periwinkle Snails

Island Hopper

A friend of mine is wanting to buy some of these snails. I can't find anything that sounds all that good for adding them to a Reef Tank. Anyone had any experience with these snails?

BigJay

depends on which snail it is. I've seen several branded as periwinkle. The ones I've bought stayed at the top of my tank and all eventually died.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I think they are cool, but are more ornamental than effective. They are safe, so if you have a CUC they add some variety but are too small to have much impact

BigJay

btw these or these are the best cleaners for the buck. They stay hidden when the lights are on and eat like machines when the lights go out. They will breed in your tank as long as algae is available. I'd at least 100 to start for a tank the size of a 50g.
My second farvorite are nerites . Extremely hardy and don't bulldoze corals the way turbos do.
All 3 links are to reef cleaners .John the owner is such a stand up guy I highly recomend him for your clean up crew. Besides it'll be hard to beat his prices.

I did a marine research project in college on Tectarius muricatus which is a beaded periwinkle. From what I saw, some periwinkles actually live on the rocky seashore part of the time. The particular snail I studied stayed in the seaspray but didn't actually go into the water. Perhaps, some types of periwinkles are just not suited to living in the water 24/7. That might explain why so many people see periwinkles climbing out of their tanks.