Peppermint shrimp? More like Mantis Shrimp

AquaticFinatic

Hey guys!

So I've had my RSM up and running for awhile now and some of the first guys to be added were peppermint shrimp. I added 4 and within a couple days I noticed one died after giving birth. I thought this was cool and actually wanted to save some of the babies. Well one day after I was rinsing out my mechanical filter in the sink and I noticed this little white thing fall out...I closed the drain and picked him up and threw him back in the tank but in a breeder net. He survived and was growing fast. Real fast...I noticed after studying his appearance that he had a shrimp-like tail but no claws??? Just these little fin like things... So eventually I let him out back in the tank thinking nothing would eat him bc he was a good size and he was fine, until I was cleaning that filter again and accidentally washed him down the drain. (no big deal) I wasn't too worried about it.

Well come to find out there has been clicking noises and banging on the glass EVERY night and my hermit crabs have been dying as well as my decorator crabs have been missing full size legs!!!...did some research and BAM!!! I have welcomed a MANTIS SHRIMP into my RSM...-_- And after seeing what they looked like online I found out that's what the thing was I accidentally washed down the drain and i've been raising the other not knowing what it was! Well now i'm on a mission to capture the sucker and raise him separately in another tank because I still think hes cool...just too cool for my community if you know what I mean.

AquaticFinatic

Thanks!:D

The tank is in my Master bedroom so all I hear is "CLANK" "CLANK" Jeeze its all night with this guy! I'm staying up tonight with my night vision goggles to see if I can spot him. :)