Peppermint shrimp hiding

Mantoots

I got a peppermint shrimp the other day to get rid of my aiptasia but he's just been hiding for two days now, is this normal?

Oxylebius

They are nocturnal, so your best bet seeing it is in the mornings and evenings (and at night). As others have mentioned, they are also shy. Give it time.

Oxylebius

If the aiptasia is big and your shrimp is small (young) it won't go for them. But, give it time. Hopefully you got the correct species of peppermint shrimp and it goes for them. There are many species out there and only a few are known to go for aiptasia anemones....

Image credit: http://decapoda.nhm.org/pdfs/27306/27306.pdf - pg 196

Mantoots

I wondered what it was doing then his shell popped off and he hid again, he seems to have lost a long feeler in the process

Steve L

You can go weeks and sometimes months without seeing nocturnal shrimp. I have 5 peppermints in my tank that I haven't seen for probably 2 months, and a pistol shrimp that I haven't seen in 6 months, but I know he's there because he moves a lot of sand around.

ziggy

You can go weeks and sometimes months without seeing nocturnal shrimp. I have 5 peppermints in my tank that I haven't seen for probably 2 months, and a pistol shrimp that I haven't seen in 6 months, but I know he's there because he moves a lot of sand around.

Whats the benefit of a pistol shrimp that peppermint or skunk do not fill (if any)?

Steve L

Other than a CUC there really are no benefits. I got the pistol to keep the sand bed stirred up and partner up with my gobie (which has since died), and the peppermint shrimp were added to rid my tank of aptaisa which they did.

ziggy

Other than a CUC there really are no benefits. I got the pistol to keep the sand bed stirred up and partner up with my gobie (which has since died), and the peppermint shrimp were added to rid my tank of aptaisa which they did.

Any aggressive signs with the pistol?

Tarantulady

My peppermints hide from my skunk cleaners. Sometimes they come flying out in broad daylight for an algae wafer. They like to come out at night and eat the heads off aiptasia. I have a large cave and the peppermints tend to hide in the back of it, along with my obnoxiously invisible porcelains. They come out after they've shot babies all over my tank, as well. I guess they have to eat extra to make up for all the breeding.