Peacock Mantis Shrimp

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
HI All!

Well I have seen this peacock mantis shrimp at the LFS for about a month or more and finally yesterday I traded something I had for the mantis shrimp and a bag of salt.

It is an awesome predator and beautiful specimen. Enclosed is a pic of the 10 gallon tank and you can just make out the shrimp in his little cave at the bottom on the left side.:)

Hope to get better shots during the week once it gets use to seeing me more.:)

Gina

RS STAFF
Johnny! Do I see sand in that there tank?! LOL!!!

Congrats on your new friend! Can't wait to see all of him! What do you feed these guys?

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Johnny, you know I'm very jealous. Is that a glass heater in the tank? Just make sure if it lights up the light part is covered....you don't want it to strike your heater. Titanium would be better, or if you could protect it in some way. Congrats!

jks1

Johnny - cool man, maybe you can enclose the heater in PVC until you can get a titanium. Thats a great pet...

Montanareefer

Thanks everyone!

The mantis seems pretty mellow so far. I gave it a piece of mush and it came out and got it! Love the eyes and how they move! So cool! Yeah will have to do something about that heater soon. :)

TDEVIL

WHAT, now im jealous, i have wanted one for a while, very cool, Johnny, i didnt know you like them

awaiting the pics

Jay

RogueCorps

Congrats Johnny!

The heater is something you should take care of immediately though. Not only do they attack when the heater indicator light turns on, but also sometimes when they feel the heated surface. I'd get it out of there immediately or shield the heater in something like pvc or a critter keeper.

-Rogue

Montanareefer

Well here is another pic of the mantis shrimp. Still not real good but you can see his cool eyes!:)

Woody I traded some junk I had laying around.:)

addict

That face is just way too scary... :eek:

Looks like a cool little critter... now you just gotta get some shots of him eating... that would be cool to see. :)

BoomerD

Come on Johnny, stick your fingers down there and tease him out for a better picture! He won't hurt you...trust me!!!:D :D
How ya gonna explain ANOTHER tank to your wife??
HA-HA-HA!!!
Looks good though, keep the pics coming!!