PC Lighting question

ChrisOaty

I have 4 24 watt pc bulbs that were designed to run off their own ballast. These came from 2 14 gallon biocubes. I'm missing two of the ballasts but have all 4 bulbs and fixtures. I was given a single 48" pc lighting fixture from a friend last week but the bulb is bad. I was wondering If it were possible to wire up all 4 24 watt bulbs to the single 96 watt ballast from the other 48" fixture. Hopefully this huge increase in light would allow me to keep a larger range of corals, clams, anemone, etc.

Rhodes19

I have 4 24 watt pc bulbs that were designed to run off their own ballast. These came from 2 14 gallon biocubes. I'm missing two of the ballasts but have all 4 bulbs and fixtures. I was given a single 48" pc lighting fixture from a friend last week but the bulb is bad. I was wondering If it were possible to wire up all 4 24 watt bulbs to the single 96 watt ballast from the other 48" fixture. Hopefully this huge increase in light would allow me to keep a larger range of corals, clams, anemone, etc.

It is possible but you would have to contact the ballast manufacturer for a wiring schematic to make sure you wire them up correctly. You'll also need to know what the max wattage/numper of bulbs that ballast can support. But to be honest with your, I would go for a good T5 system with IDR or MH if you want to keep clams, anemones, or sps. Here's a good write up on lighting. HTH

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/50016-basics-lighting-reef-systems.html