Paul's Nano tank set up - Quarantine tank

Hi, I have a 135L tank and recently bought a used Aqua Medic Yasha to use as a quarantine tank, 36 litres.

My first question is can I use the water from my main tank to save time in cycling, main tank has been up and running for 6 weeks.

I was going to do it in 3 parts by adding 3 x 10 litres from main tank and then add 2 litres of new saltwater over a 2 to 3 week period. I have a wave maker to circulate the water until tank is full and will then switch on skimmer.

Was not planning to add sand or LR

Would the above work or should I just add 10 litres from main tank and then top up with 26 litres of fresh saltwater?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
What you should do is buy a sponge filter and let it seed in your main tank so that it builds a good bacteria base. This will be much better than main tank water because most of the good bacteria isn't in the water column (albeit some is). If you an let it seed for 4+ weeks then it should be good to keep the QT tank healthy with a few water changes in the beginning. Keep testing ammonia and once that stays at 0, then you've stabilized.

What you should do is buy a sponge filter and let it seed in your main tank so that it builds a good bacteria base. This will be much better than main tank water because most of the good bacteria isn't in the water column (albeit some is). If you an let it seed for 4+ weeks then it should be good to keep the QT tank healthy with a few water changes in the beginning. Keep testing ammonia and once that stays at 0, then you've stabilized.

Thanks for help

I have a piece of floss in my main tank that has been there for 4 weeks and could place that in QT and use new and existing water too.

Someone has suggested using sand but as only a QT so not want to use. I have seen some use a block of marine pure in the tank itself to build bacteria, I guess this would have same effect but would need to start from scratch unless I did both?