Passing of a combat Veteran

Paul B

The last few weeks in March 1971 I was stationed on a small Fire Base in Viet Nam callec FSB Illingsworth. A fire base is a clearing in the jungle where we pushed the trees back 50 yards or so and we had artillery guns, mortars, machine guns etc. set up to support the infantry. These firebases were also sometimes called LZs or Landing Zones because there were no roads and everything including water came by helicopter.
Anyway I was a young Sargeant when I jumper out of the chopper into a clearing I was met by My Captain, Capt Leidig who was 25 years old at the time. We were a few yards from the Cambodian border well on the Ho Chi Mein trail.
After two uneventful weeks we were attacked by 400 Communist North Viet Nam regular army troops 100 of which were in the trees set up around the firebase with machine guns.
There were less than 100 of us there.
We fought for aprox 7 hours.
This is the battle that caused us to go into Cambodia. We were put there as bait because we wanted a reason to enter Cambodia. I will not tell the entire story because this is not about the battle.

After the battle Capt Leidig who did a great job was releived of command temporarilly due to battle fatigue which anyone could understand when you lose a good portion of your men and you are 25.

I have been looking for Captain Leidig since the battle and last week I found his E mail in a Veterans site.
I E mailed him to say hello and see how he was doing.

Yesterday his wife called me in tears to say he had passed away a few weeks ago from Leukemia that they feel is Agent Orange related. I never did get to meet him again but his wife was interested in the Battle of Illingsworth that he commanded us in.
I searched out some information that I will send her.
Captain Arnold Leidig later was promoted to Colonel.

Here is some information about the battle.
It is not graphic.
fwb2

One of our guys there was awarded the Medal Of Honor, this is his story.
http://www.homeofheroes.com/profile...iles_lemon.html

Last edited:

Royalscott

I am so sorry to hear of Captain Leidig's passing.

Thank you for sharing the story and THANK YOU for all that you did for our country in Vietnam.

Emg

Paul........my thanks as well...to you and everyone who ever served our nation in the military. Not just to those who served, but also to their families left back at home.

My son is in the Air force....far away in Japan. Our first successful "launch" as far as our kids go....he's the oldest and we miss him ! His squad is being deployed to a "desert" area in Sept.

The oldest son of a friend of mine came to church this am. He was back from basic training and has to leave to go back tomorrow. He's in the marines...and his mom is very proud of him. We have another church member who is serving his second deployment in Iraq right now....also a marine. He has some pretty amazing stories about things that happened on his first deployment. He was front line. This deployment has been pretty mild so far. He keeps in touch with his church family via emails.

I will never cease to have the utmost respect and admiration for those who make the choice to serve. God bless each and every one of you !

rlcline76

My Father In Law has leukemia from being exposed to Agent Orange. My father has Type 2 diabetes from exposure, just lost a friend from cancer (from guess what!) a couple of months back. I can tell it is really getting to him.

And still...some of these guys who are sick have to fight with the VA for even the smallest of benefits.

Paul B

And still...some of these guys who are sick have to fight with the VA for even the smallest of benefits

I know all about the VA as most Veterans do. I don't even know why there is a VA. I have never heard of anyone getting any Veterans benefits except maybe some college. American Veterans get almost nothing for serving.
I believe combat Veterans should pay no federal taxes and all Veterans should get a break. I do get about $200.00 off my property tax which is over $11,000.00. If it were not for Veterans we would not have this fish website.
This is not a political site so I won't say anymore about it.
I am glad I served as most Veterans and am a very Proud American.
Pray for all service people
Have a grat day.
Paul

lcstorc

A very touching story that reminds us all of those who have lost their lives either during the war or because of things done in the war.
We thank you and all veterans for protecting our country and the freedom we have here.

BoomerD

abs.gif

Paul B

Just so you know BoomerD was also in Nam the same time as me and he was there longer than me.
We were also in some of the same places like Cambodia and Laos but I forgot, we were never "really" there.
Welcome home Brother

BoomerD

Sadly Paul, our Veteran's Administration has done about as good of a job for our veterans, as the Bureau of Indian Affairs has done for out Native Americans...:cursin:

Paul B

BoomerD at least we get a flag when we die. I told my daughter, it that flag is not American made, to give it back.
Have a great day.
paul

KodiakBear

(from medalofhonor.com)

LEMON, PETER C.

Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company E, 2d Battalion, 8th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division. place and date: Tay Ninh province, Republic of Vietnam, 1 April 1970. Entered service at: Tawas City, Mich. Born: 5 June 1950, Toronto, Canada. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Lemon (then Sp4c.), Company E, distinguished himself while serving as an assistant machine gunner during the defense of Fire Support Base Illingworth. When the base came under heavy enemy attack, Sgt. Lemon engaged a numerically superior enemy with machine gun and rifle fire from his defensive position until both weapons malfunctioned. He then used hand grenades to fend off the intensified enemy attack launched in his direction. After eliminating all but 1 of the enemy soldiers in the immediate vicinity, he pursued and disposed of the remaining soldier in hand-to-hand combat. Despite fragment wounds from an exploding grenade, Sgt. Lemon regained his position, carried a more seriously wounded comrade to an aid station, and, as he returned, was wounded a second time by enemy fire. Disregarding his personal injuries, he moved to his position through a hail of small arms and grenade fire. Sgt. Lemon immediately realized that the defensive sector was in danger of being overrun by the enemy and unhesitatingly assaulted the enemy soldiers by throwing hand grenades and engaging in hand-to-hand combat. He was wounded yet a third time, but his determined efforts successfully drove the enemy from the position. Securing an operable machine gun, Sgt. Lemon stood atop an embankment fully exposed to enemy fire, and placed effective fire upon the enemy until he collapsed from his multiple wounds and exhaustion. After regaining consciousness at the aid station, he refused medical evacuation until his more seriously wounded comrades had been evacuated. Sgt. Lemon's gallantry and extraordinary heroism, are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the U.S. Army

GOD BLESS OUR VETS

KodiakBear

Sorry for the interjection on the thread, but I couldn't get the home of heroes link to work, had to look it up elsewhere. Hope it helps anyone else that was having trouble with it.

KodiakBear

BoomerD at least we get a flag when we die. I told my daughter, it that flag is not American made, to give it back.
Have a great day.
paul

Is there anything more insulting than buying a flag at the local walmart only to find a MADE IN CHINA tag on it? I had to return it.

Paul B

Kodiak, Thanks for posting the link about Peter Lemon. I diden't really know him very well and none of us went by our real names. I was known as alphabet because I have a long Italian last name.
Peter was on the opposite side of the firebase than I was and he was evacuated from his wounds. It may have been my Captain Leidig who put him in for the Medal Of Honor.
Most of that night is a blur and that is the way I would like it to remain.
As for American flags made in China, I will not buy a flag not made in America or anything else if there is a possability that there is a similar item made here. All of my clothes, sneakers, cars, boat and tools are made here and it's not easy. I won't even let my wife buy grapes from Chili or Pistachios
from Israel. Not that there is anything wrong with those countries or their people, I just feel that as an American I like to support Americans.
I am sure Chilian grapes are great as pistacios from Israel and I am sure Japanese cars run great, but I will never know. :dance:

msbdiving

I feel that the title of "The greatest generation" needs to be expanded to all the vets. The bravery exhibited when under fire was not confined to those who were just in WWII. Regardless of the reason or political feelings by the public I am impressed by all who serve. I think that the American military is way underpaid and it pisses me off when congress gets another pay raise and the soldier gets the bone. Yes you do deserve so much more. I like the Spartan story of the whole audience moving over so an elderly vet is able to take a seat. That is lost among the politicians.

On a side note about made in America, maybe soon we will be able to figure out better gas mileage vehicles or some sort of energy independance so we can give OPEC the finger and stop buying stuff from people that want to kill us.

Paul B

My Captain who replaced Capt. Laidig in Nam sent me this obituary about Col. Leidig. I diden't realize he spent so much time in the service after Nam.

Arnold W. Laidig Jr. Army Public Affairs Officer

Arnold W. Laidig Jr., 63, a retired Army lieutenant colonel who was a public affairs officer during his 28-year military career, died of cancer Jan. 1 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. He was an Alexandria resident.

Col. Laidig was born in Estherville, Iowa, and was drafted into the Army in 1966 while a student at the University of Iowa and served two tours in Vietnam. He graduated from the University of Iowa in 1972 and received a master's degree from Texas A&M University in 1976.

He was a field artilleryman early in his military career before becoming a public affairs officer. He served at Fort Sill, Okla.; Fort Lewis, Wash.; and Fort Bliss, Tex.; as well as in Pirmasens, Germany; San Antonio; Frankfurt, Germany; and at the Pentagon.

His most recent assignments were as chief of the professional development branch for Army Public Affairs and as director of media operations for the U.S. Central Command in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, during Operation Desert Storm. He also served as a public affairs officer for the Army Criminal Investigation Command in Arlington and the Army Military District of Washington at Fort McNair.

After retiring from the Army in 1995, he joined the staff of MPRI, a defense and security contracting company based in Alexandria, where he served for 10 years as the deputy to the senior vice president of human resources. He was an MPRI recruiter for former military employees.

Col. Laidig was a runner who competed in a number of marathons in the United States and Germany. He also loved gardening and backyard barbecuing.

Survivors include his wife of 35 years, Judy Laidig of Alexandria, and a brother.

Paul B

EMG, thank you and thank your son when you talk to him.
I admire him as I do all vets.

Paul B

Thanks BoomerD I saw that today.
I personally only buy American, flags, cars, tools, clothes and everything else. When they stop making American cars, I will build one myself.
There is no reason why we can't build anything we need in America.