PArrot and convict

forestal

that being said, by definition, 2 distinct species cannot interbrede, although very closely related ones may occasionally. these are not

bbe22

Lol Paul, but +1 to both, they won't breed if even if you gave them a bottle of champagne and a cheap hotel room with some Barry White playing in the background. Otherwise all the fish stores would be selling fish called Conarrots.

If you want to breed, just get some more convicts. They're like the rabbits of cichlids.

PEMfish

Barry White
I'm gonna have to write that down. My version of love music is Nothing else matters by Metallica. Apparently that wont due if Im to date a sober chick.

If you want to breed, just get some more convicts. They're like the rabbits of cichlids.
Lol.
I just got an idea for the next time it strikes my to put on a Halloween costume... a rabbit.

bbe22

I'm gonna have to write that down. My version of love music is Nothing else matters by Metallica. Apparently that wont due if Im to date a sober chick.

Lol.
I just got an idea for the next time it strikes my to put on a Halloween costume... a rabbit.

If this was a legitimate thread I'd be worried about hijacking it, but damn Paul, that's funny stuff. I tried dating a sober chick once, ok, maybe twice. It was overrated. And the Metallica, I don't even know how to come back to that. Maybe try the song One instead??? If that fails try some Sepultera or Melvins. I've read studies where plants grow better when you play classical music for them. I wonder how much science is behind it. Makes me wonder what the effects of playing some Al Green and maybe some Isaac Hayes for plants would be.

seafansar

omg! I did not realize this was in the freshwater forum! lol. I had no clue what he was referring to. I thought maybe a convict tang and parrot fish. lol. And then you guys starting acting like he was serious and said just stick with convicts they breed like rabbits. I thought, "No. No one's been able to breed tangs yet!" lmao.

bbe22

Yep, you'll find me and PEM hanging out in the fw forums a whole lot. I can't speak for him, but I can say most my experience is in fw. I can say Paul'Em has his fair share of fw exp as well though.

PEMfish

You hit it dead on, Ive been in FW for over a decade, SW is still kinda new.

Im thinking maybe its not the song, but the band. I'll try Voodoo or Serenity by Godsmack next! Or maybe I'll do it to Beethoven, have some smart children. Or ones that photosynthesize well.

bbe22

If all else fails Paul, go with some Elvis. I'd give up one of my tanks for a Crying Velvet Elvis. Well, not really, but I like to pretend I would.

QuentinB

Alright, by my research, the short answer is most likely no. Blood Parrot Cichlids are hybrids, and they cannot procreate because 100% of males are sterile. With females, however, some people have noticed that they are able to breed with male convicts, but chances are slim.

I've had my setup for a year now, and my blood parrot lays eggs every 2-4 weeks. a couple times it seemed like my male convict was getting close, but the eggs always end up eaten by about day 5. Aggressive tank :p

My conclusion: You can wish for it, but don't count on it.