Pajama cardinal stopped eating

clka

We have had our small pajama cardinal (PJ) for 7 1/2 weeks now. He spent the first 5 weeks in QT with our pink streaked wrasse who had already been there for several weeks (for QT and growing time). He ate amazing amounts of frozen and/or pellet food. After 5 weeks we put him and the wrasse into our 34G RSM where they joined our skunk clownfish and starry blenny. PJ continued to eat very well until a week ago when I noticed he would eat a bite or two, or not at all. Sometimes he acts as though he wants to eat, will swim after food then spit it out. He will even come to the end of the feeder, but even surrounded by food will not eat. I bought some arcti-pods today, and he did eat 3 bites. The skunk clown is occasionally a bit aggressive, but probably no worse than if PJ were with other pajama cardinalfishes, so don't know if it could be stress. He certainly was holding his own with the bigger guys just a week ago. We're totally befuddled. There is no visible sign of disease, and no dietary changes. The other 3 fish are very active and eating well, no behavior changes in them.

I shut down the QT 2 weeks ago and could probably get it up and going again fairly quickly if necessary, but with no obvious signs of disease, I don't know what I would do differently if he were back there.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very much appreciated!

Cheryl

leebca

Cheryl,

It sounds like you are a conscientious hobbyist. Good that you use a quarantine process.

The PJC should not be amongst any kind of assertive fishes, much less an aggressive one. It takes energy to 'hold their own' against these kinds of fishes and when anything goes amiss, they surrender rather than maintain the effort to 'hold their own.' However, each fish is different and have their own tolerance and surrender levels.

I would hold partly accountable the diet. Pellets, flakes, and disks are some of the least desirable foods to feed. Reasons for this statement are given here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../23069-different-forms-marine-fish-foods.html With these foods, the fish spends energy trying to digest something it gains no nutritional value from. This is an additional stress source, which for the hardy and resilient fishes doesn't mean that much. But for those fishes on the edge. . .

Try a huge water change. Sometimes it is something that's gotten into the water. I'm talking over 80%. Since it is so large, you need to follow these guidelines: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...7-how-make-safe-water-change-marine-fish.html

The large water change has been known to 'shock' a fish back into eating. See if the water change makes any change in behavior or eating. Continue to offer whole, natural foods. I can see no reason to separate the fish from the display at this point in time.

:)