Paint safe to use underwater?

PEMfish

Dose anyone know for sure what, if any type of paint is safe to use in an aquarium? Of course none is safe until dried, cured and whatever.

PEMfish

I have heard about using it on the outside a tanks, but not the inside. I'll look into it for sure.

I just need to paint the PVC pipes so they don't stand out.

chipmunkofdoom2

Yeah, that's what the one guy used. He used the Krylon for plastics on his PVC overflow. Like I said, never used it myself, but I think others have with no issue.

PEMfish

After some reading that looks like thats what I am using. It feels weird; thinking about plumbing for a FW.

BLAKEJOHN

The only paint that I know of and for plastics only is Krylon Fusion. I have used it in my ten gallon SW tank on the false wall. Regular krylon is not safe.

PEMfish

Good to know. Thank you.

I am considering painting the back of the tank to but ****tin bricks at just the thought. I will probably paint some thin acrylic and tape it on.

DaveK

...I just need to paint the PVC pipes so they don't stand out.

Assuming this is inside the tank, you have a few of options.

You can do nothing, and in a few weeks or so coraline algae will cover it all, and you'll hardly notice it.

You can change it over to schedule 80 pvc pipe and fittings. These are dark gray.

You can use some silicon and glue sand and small rocks to the pipe. (Obviously outside the tank)

I'm very lazy and chose to do nothing. Today, it's not noticeable at all.

PEMfish

It will be a FW planted tank, so the Coraline won't happen and rocks will stand out. But that still is a neat idea. I thought about the schedule 80 but I won't settle on it.

chrome91

krylon fusion is fine in tank water. you just need to spray whatever you are spraying with 5-6 coats to prevent any chipping. i kryloned PVC for my 40g breeder when i had it and it worked fine