ozone

vc_fetzer

I have a Red Sea Aquazone 100.the installation & operation Manual,not much help.I have a 75gal reef setting..i have a aquaC Remora hang-on skimmer.can i drill a hole in the top and put ozone in the skimmer without having problems????!!!!!!

Witfull

ozone is a dual edge sword, it can be good,,can be very harmful to your tank and family. i would read up on it. but for skimmer use put it into the air intake, then have the skimmer outflow go through carbon as well as any air output have it go through carbon as well.

DaveK

vc_fetzer said:
I have a Red Sea Aquazone 100.the installation & operation Manual,not much help.I have a 75gal reef setting..i have a aquaC Remora hang-on skimmer.can i drill a hole in the top and put ozone in the skimmer without having problems????!!!!!!

No, you can not do this. When using ozone you must filter the output water and the output air through carbon to remove any residual ozone. This is impossible to do with an AquaC Remora. It's also tough to do with a lot of other skimmers. You will likely need to obtain or build another skimmer or ozone reactor.

Ozone in the air can be a major health problem for you. If you can smell it anyplace but right next to the skimmer, you have a problem with it.

When you use ozone, contact time is critical. Many of the skimmers in use today do not provide much contact time. You may be better off adding one of the older style skimmers that use an airstone, rather than some form of air injection. The wood airsones used in these skimmers produce very fine bubbles, but ozone will eat thru them in a few weeks, so they do need constant replacement. Some of the ceramic airstones work well, but require a much stronger sir pump.

Also, consider using ozone with an ORP controller, so you don't over do it.