oxygen levels

Coraljunkie

I'm running a jbj28 cube and i just got a pair of Picasso clowns today and they haven't stopped swimming at the top of the tank. The tank is fitted with a cover and small flip up lid.on the back part is a small sump area that is open with no lid at the top, it's where the water overflows into and there are two return pumps that I have aimed towards the water surface. It doesn't break the water surface because it would be noisy but it's enough to make it ripple pretty good. I also have a koralia Universal pump inside the tank that does 320gph. I'm wondering if the tank has enough oxygen? How can I tell? What more can I do to help? Water parameters alk 10 cal 455 mag 1350 ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5 ppm phosphates .05 ppm salinity 1.026 maxima clam, bta, lps, and sps are all doing great

DaveK

Unless you have a power failure and all circulation stops, or you grossly overstock the system, it's very unlikely that you have an oxygen level issue. Most reef systems get so much circulation that any gas exchange issues of getting CO2 out and O2 just don't exist.

If your really in doubt about it, LaMotte and a few others do sell a dissolved oxygen test kit. Generally they are not needed, but you could get one for peace of mind.

Oxylebius

How are the clowns today? Still at the surface? Perhaps they had trouble acclimating to the tank.

Coraljunkie

Yeah they're still at the surface but I just fed them and they ate like sharks and they swam down to middle of the tank. I'll just keep an eye on them. They're not gilling at all. Maybe they're acclimating to the Ai Hydra lighting? Is it true that the uv lighting in the hydra can or will hurt their eyes?

Coraljunkie

After watching the fish for most of the day i realized that one of them is bullying the other, both eat just fine even still but the bully cruises around the tank and then will swim towards the other causing it to roll to its side and stay at the top of the water