Overflow rate

IamELMO

Just a quick questions, I have a 1717g/hr return pump. What diameter overflow pipe would I need to handle this?

Adam Black

If a 1 inch can handle 650g then I would think maybe 3 inch? But you'll probably have alot of head loss so I would think maybe a 2 inch would work. Just a guess!

BobBursek

A thing of Physics, all things being equal, with a round pipe, if you double the diameter, you triple the volume it can handle. So if a 1" pipe can handle 650gph, then a 2" can handle 1950gph with a larger pump.

framerguy

Here ya go...

1/2 " PVC
3.5 GPM
210 GPH

3/4" PVC
6 GPM
360 GPH

1" PVC
10 GPM
600 GPH

1 1/4" PVC
20 GPM
1,200 GPH

1 1/2" PVC
30 GPM
1,800 GPH

2" PVC
60 GPM
3,600 GPH

2 1/2" PVC
100 GPM
6,000 GPH

3" PVC
175 GPM
10,500 GPH ________________

trippkid

Framerguy has it right. I would use either (1) 1 1/2", (1) 1 1/4", or (2) 1", All three options would do the trick, unless you have zero head loss, then you will have to use the 1 1/2 or 1 1/4(might be hard to find a bulkhead that size, IDK, I've only ever used 1", 1.5", and 2"). What size tank is this for? You don't need large volume turnover in the sump, really no more than the skimmer can handle is the norm these days, JMO. The rest of the flow is handled through powerheads in the tank, or a closed loop system. Give us some more info about tank and plans for it.
Matt

IamELMO

It's a 115g 4x2x2ft tank with 3x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2ft sump. Will house (eventually) mostly SPS and an anemone. Will be barebottom. Will have big dual return in the hope I can have a high flow-low velocity return. That's the plan, unless there's some glaring problems?

trippkid

Then go with the largest pipe diameter you can stand and the pump will handle on the return side. What are your plans for extra flow in the tank? You are still going to need quite a bit more flow to do SPS, IMO. Good luck, sounds like my kind of tank minus the anenome. Have a good evening.
Matt

IamELMO

I've got 2 Koralia 4's and 2 Koralia 2's for extra flow. The lady wants clown fish so I guess I have to have an anemone. Well I know I don't NEED to . But they want what they want ;)

trippkid

I know all about that, my current tank started for the wife as a FOWLR, has evolved into SPS dominated tank now. I run about 90X's(give or take) tank volume for flow inside the tank(about the same as you are planning through the sump, maybe a little less, about 1000gph), then a Vortech(100% on reef crest mode), and 3 modded Maxi jets(1800,1800, and 2000+ gph), I am planning on swapping one of the MJ's out for another Vortech after the holidays. Oh, I had a huge anenome, but I ended up putting it in my refugium(it is still there, it has been a little over a year now, it is one of my wife's favorite things so I hate to get rid of it). Anyway, when I started to get SPS corals and increased the flow in the tank, it would decide to go wandering leaving a trail of death behind it, I had enough of that after a couple of times, so he is where he is for now. If I were to do it again(which I probably never will but this is just what I would try), I would make it one of the later or last things to go in, especially after you get the flow sorted out and the general layout of the tank. Good luck with your build.
Matt