Ouch - poor mushroom leather!

jimeluiz

Our happy and growing mushroom leather got tipped over the other night - I assume a turbo came plowing through. So I reached in and twisted it back into the substrate.

Now I notice there seems to be a tear (ouch :eek:h: ) in the capitulum. So the once 4 or 5 inch across disk now looks like a lima bean. Kinda looks nice - but the tear area freaks me out. I'm on the lookout for munchers, but don't think that is the case. (Fish in the tank include one each yellow and royal tangs, flame angel, royal gramma and two clowns. Just hermit crabs, fire, pepermint and cleaner shrimp, two humungus stars: brittle and serpent.)

I figure all will repair itself in time, right?

I still can't figure how I managed to damage the poor thing - I'm usually overly sensitive and gentle. Luiz' bold, man-handling approach may be rubbing off (unfortunately). :smack:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Do you have any pictures? It should be ok. Keep it blown off so it can rid itself of any "old skin"..... They can be prone to bacterial infections.

jimeluiz

Here's one. It's pretty retracted so early in the morning...

Attachments

• sad mushroom leather.jpg
    sad mushroom leather.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 43

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Humm... it does look like something took a bite out of it. It looks very healthy, it will recover quickly. When I frag my leather, it looks MUCH worse than that!! :D

Just for you witty.....
61crab_eyes.JPG

nickt

Sometimes you will get small pieces that die off. Was that spot different looking the past couple days ? Or did It just disappear overnight. Anyway it will grow back.

wooddood

the wood dude
keep an eye on it if it starts to deteriorate more get it outta your tank.leathers will deteriorate very quickly and could crash your tank. good luck with it.

dave. :smoking:

chris-miranda

hey was that mr krabs??? your leather should be fine i cut the top part off and then cut that into 4 to 5 pieces and bamm in a few months i have exact clones of the one i chopped up :)

KimPossible

leathers will deteriorate very quickly and could crash your tank. good luck with it.

I had a beautiful Yellow Tungan Leather, it got a bacterial infection(I think) and started spewing toxins, long treads of the stuff that never stopped. I ended up giving it to a friend. The bugger had to come out of my tank, some of the toxic strands were flowing all over and my yellow polyps took a hit. It didn't turn out to be a bad thing cause they were multiplying like crazy....natural selection took its course.

Good luck!

jimeluiz

It's a little tentative, but looking good. Fingers crossed, with a water and carbon change.

Attachments

• much better3.jpg
    much better3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 16