OT: Parrot Advice...again.

Newt

I've wanted a bird for some time now, and some of you may have seen the post that I was looking into many of the species of conures. Well I decided against the bird for quite a while because with starting school this last year, and having a new job I just did not know if I would have time, or a steady enough schedule to take care of a new bird.

I've still been looking into conures, but lately another bird has been in my mind for some time as well...the Congo African Grey I want a bird that is going to be very intelligent, and something that is going to be somewhat of a challenge, that I can train. The only other birds that I've kept in my home are budgies, but at work I socialize and help care for tiels, lovebirds, parrotlets and canaries...but for some reason or another small birds do just not do it for me. I've always been intrigued by larger birds, like the bosses daughter's scarlet/blue and gold macaw cross. It's a beautiful bird with an odd personality, and I love it!

I am just wondering if a Congo grey is a good idea for a companion bird? I know that these types of birds can become feather pluckers, but I've read that if you keep it happy, and in a stable environment they will not pluck. I can give it tons of attention, a stable schedule, and working at a pet store it will be spoiled like no tomorrow with all sorts of treats and toys. I've heard that they are good apartment birds (which right now does not matter because I live with the rents/but will be moving out eventually)

As of yet I'm just saving up for the bird, cage and all of the equipment, but I would like to get some opinions of experienced bird people here on RS. I know Gina has exp with larger birds...so please chime in! :) I have several parrot behavior/care books to learn as much as possible before I finalize any decisions.

If some of you have pros/cons that's the kind of stuff that I'm looking for...or if you have any more or new information on them that I could read, it never hurts to learn more than I already know.

Gina

RS STAFF
I don't see any issues with your wanting an African Grey. I think if you can spend the time with the bird that it needs, go ahead and get one.

As far as feather plucking goes, that's a 50/50 shot. There are so many variables that can cause feather plucking from intestinal parasites, external, bordom. The problem I've seen with that is, once it starts, it's hard to get in control. If your bird starts it, you need to find out if it's physical or psychological.

These birds as you already know are on the top as far as intelligence goes.
If you've done your homework, I'm sure you've read about Alex and Irene Pepperberg.

These birds can learn to mimic sounds such as the phone ringing, door bell, your own voice etc, etc!

All birds are social creatures and need interaction either with their own species or human companionship.

I would recommend a young bird just weaned. Make sure it's been tested or have it tested for Psittacosis, Beak and Feather Disease and a parasite check (stool).

Oh, another thing I remembered is, Greys are heavy bodied and I saw a few come into the office with wounds, or cuts on their keel bone from trying to fly with trimmed wings and just landing on the floor. They can hit quite hard. So, the vet I worked for starting trimming fewer feathers or would trim every other one so that when the bird would try and fly, it would fall smoother or slower to the ground.

I think a Grey is an ok choice.

Do you know what type you want? Timneh or Congo?
If you can think of any specific questions, I'll try and answer them.

Warnberg

Well here are my experiances with large birds. Aftrican Grays are very intellagant, they also seem to talk better then others, however they are not real loving birds as compaired to a Cockatoo. I have owned both, the African Grey really didn't attach to any one person in the family, talked a lot, sometimes was very noisy, and tolerated being carried around but could be very agressive (bite) when it didn't want to be bothered, usually cage cleaning time.

My Meduim Sulfer Crested Cockatoo, was a wild caught bird that I tamed down, this bird was more like a cat or small child than a bird. What I mean by that is that if I was anywhere near the bird (if he could see me or hear me) the bird had to be with me and I do mean with me. He loved to be touched, loved on, played with, etc...
This bird would even take a shower with me if I let it. I was working midnights when I owned him so that presented a challange. Sometime I had to get up around noon to get a drink or water or whatever, after that the bird would not shutup until I let him out of the cage. Funny thing was, I'd get up, open the cage door and the bird would proceed to climb up on the pillow with me after walking half way across the house.

Now, the only reason I mention this, is because each species of large parrots require (demand) differant types of attention. Not all are the same by any means of the word but there overall behavior is usually about the same.

Newt

Gina said:
I don't see any issues with your wanting an African Grey. I think if you can spend the time with the bird that it needs, go ahead and get one.

As far as feather plucking goes, that's a 50/50 shot. There are so many variables that can cause feather plucking from intestinal parasites, external, bordom. The problem I've seen with that is, once it starts, it's hard to get in control. If your bird starts it, you need to find out if it's physical or psychological.

These birds as you already know are on the top as far as intelligence goes.
If you've done your homework, I'm sure you've read about Alex and Irene Pepperberg.

These birds can learn to mimic sounds such as the phone ringing, door bell, your own voice etc, etc!

All birds are social creatures and need interaction either with their own species or human companionship.

I would recommend a young bird just weaned. Make sure it's been tested or have it tested for Psittacosis, Beak and Feather Disease and a parasite check (stool).

Oh, another thing I remembered is, Greys are heavy bodied and I saw a few come into the office with wounds, or cuts on their keel bone from trying to fly with trimmed wings and just landing on the floor. They can hit quite hard. So, the vet I worked for starting trimming fewer feathers or would trim every other one so that when the bird would try and fly, it would fall smoother or slower to the ground.

I think a Grey is an ok choice.

Do you know what type you want? Timneh or Congo?
If you can think of any specific questions, I'll try and answer them.

Thanks Gina, it's great to hear that I would be making a good choice for a bird. As of now I'm leaning towards the Congo, from everywhere that I've read they are a bit more social and not as nippy. And I have read about the pepperbergs, it was one of the initial things that got me interesting in reading more about greys.

mps9506

If I could have a bird it would be a grey. Gina really hit it on the head with her post. All the greys that we have weaned are only barely clipped, they can still glide pretty much as far as they want.
I guess they could make an ok apt. bird, depending on the apartment and the neighbors. They are not overly loud like cockatoos or screechers like conures. But generally any bird is pretty loud in an apartment setting, except maybe a pionus or smaller bird like finches or budgies.
Preferably you would want a bird that was just weaned, but don't rule out the possibilty of getting a "rescue" bird from someone that just can't take care of it anymore. My buddy got a bald 8 year old umbrella cockatoo from someone that just didn't know how to take care of the bird. It is now a beautiful 13 year old that is very well adjusted and behaves wonderfully, or at least as well as can be expected from a cockatoo.

Ladipyg

As the owner of a Blue and Gold Macaw for 20 years, there are a lot of pros and cons to owning big birds.
Big bird = BIG NOISE....don't let anyone kid you...you can make generalizations about species, but each bird is an individual. You could end up with one of those birds that's a non-stop screamer...be prepared. I actually had the police show up at my home when I first moved in cause the neighbors thought I had my mom locked up in the basement when he went on a yelling jag...."Help...Help...HELP...call 911!"

Do you have a no pet clause in your rent agreement?

Prep time: You can't just put seed in a dish and go? My Max gets his custom made diet in the morning, fruits and veggies and a cup of Macaw seed mix in the afternoon and his night time snack every day. I spend at least 4 hours a month cooking his food and bagging it up into snack size baggies to be frozen.
Cage cleaning...big bird=big mess
Going on a trip...that's a lot of work to ask of a friend.

Big Birds=BIG BRAINS...they need a lot of entertainment to keep those big brains happy or you'll find them getting destructive.

I LOVE my big guy, but between him and a couple of large SW tanks, my plate is FULL.
He has a vocabulary of over 500 words...and can use it at just the perfect moment. He loves to cuddle and climb in the shower, he chases the dog and teases the cat. He loves me, but will still get jealous and bite my hubby of 13 years every chance he gets, no matter how nice Bill is to him.

I'm not the voice of doom...just trying to let you know what it's like, so another bird doesn't have to end up at a bird rescue. Got time, do a google search and volunteer at a local bird rescue...you will learn more there than you could ever imagine and may just find the bird of your dreams...or better yet...he or she may find YOU! Good Luck!

Newt

Do you have a no pet clause in your rent agreement?

I live with my parents still so noise isn't really an issue.

Thanks everyone. And don't worry even the cons aren't going to really talk me out of getting a bird. I just wanted to hear experiences and opinions. I wouldn't rule out getting a rescued bird, but I think I'm aiming more at a weaned baby bird.

I'm getting really excited about this, and with my schedule now, I have plenty of time for making his/her lunches and dinners. So since I'm saving and waiting to get the bird, I'm going to read, read, read to make sure that when he/she gets here it will be as happy as can be.

Any grey owners have pictures to share?

Kensn

My parents and my sister both have parrots. My parents have a Gray, and my sister has a Gray and a Blue Front. The grays are a real kick. Both are real talkers, and my sister's birds talk to each other, and the one tells the other to "shut up Stormy!!". As you well know a well balanced diet, and plenty of love goes a long way with them. My parents bird bonded with my dad, but mom can handle him also. They are both Congos, and really neat birds. Songs, sound effects, just about anything you take the time to teach them. Both were obtained as hand fed babies. If you would like my Mom's email address, I am sure she would to tickled to answer any questions you may have. PM me for it. She has had the bird I am guessing 8-10 years.

Newt

kensn said:
My parents and my sister both have parrots. My parents have a Gray, and my sister has a Gray and a Blue Front. The grays are a real kick. Both are real talkers, and my sister's birds talk to each other, and the one tells the other to "shut up Stormy!!". As you well know a well balanced diet, and plenty of love goes a long way with them. My parents bird bonded with my dad, but mom can handle him also. They are both Congos, and really neat birds. Songs, sound effects, just about anything you take the time to teach them. Both were obtained as hand fed babies. If you would like my Mom's email address, I am sure she would to tickled to answer any questions you may have. PM me for it. She has had the bird I am guessing 8-10 years.

I love to hear good things!!! Makes me want it even sooner, but I still need to save :) I don't need the addy right now, but I'll keep it in mind. It would be nice to run q's by a person keeping a grey.

Cage size I think I'm going to go with at smallest 22"x22", but I'm leaning more toward a 30"x24" cage. Sound good?

As the owner of 3 parrots and a toucan let me just remind you of the commitment you are about to make . Aside from the absolutely necessary time that you must put in with the bird to keep it physically and mentally healthy, there is considerable expenses in food and veternary care. I spend hundreds a month on fresh fruits and vegetables to keep my guys healthy. Parrots are easy with dietary needs compared to toucans, try finding blueberries in the middle of the NE winter! And the most important thing to consider with parrots , especially the TAG and CAG is that they will outlive you . If yourre not aware, they can live to 100 years old if properly cared for so you should have a plan. Birds are awesome and as you can tell with me , they are addictive. You got some great advice in the posts above so take it all in and think long and hard while deciding whether or not a bird is for you. Good Luck Peter

Warnberg

bonerfotuna, I was just going to say tthe same thing.

jkreef, the majority of large parrots will out live you, remember this is like a marrage, a life long commitment and possibly something you may have to will to one of your children in the future. If I remeber correctly they have about the same intellagance level as a 3 to 5 year old child, so you are looking at keeping a 3 to 5 year of child for the next 80 to 100 years. I do not want to descourage you, just want you to be aware of what you are getting yourself into.

Good Luck,

Witfull

i have an umbrella cockatoo, a real sweetheart, but she has her times when she will scream and yes it is loud. get the biggest cage you can afford fit in your home. also as mentioned above, birds choose who they want to bond too.

ive had samantha for appx 18yrs now. she was a hand fed baby, i tube fed her. she originally came into my store for sale. but for some strange reason she didnt. she was there for three yrs and became the store mascot. every morning we had coffee and muffin or bagel for breakfast. and she just hung out at the store. but she chose me as her buddy. others she socialized with but would climb off her cage and run to me when i walked in.

early one morning, two days before Christmas, the phone rings...."the mall is on fire! get there!!" was all that i heard. long story short, we rescued every animal out of the store except fish, and were on the news as animal heros. (i had to give mouth to mouth to a puppy that had stopped breathing- he lived and was adopted by the store vet)

1/3+ of the mall was gutted by the 6 alarm fire. 100% smoke damaged. the owner of the store was so pleased with us that he gave me Samantha, and to anyone that was there helping got to choose any pet they wanted.

so, before you bring your baby home, spend lots of time with them, and other babies. be patient and the bond will happen.

also along with the fruits and veggies and seeds, sammy loves scrambled eggs, pasta, and chicken. her fav has got to be buffalo wings.,,thats my girl,,,,spicey~~

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 127
  • cage-closeup.jpg
    cage-closeup.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 126
Heres my crew , managed by my better half. CAG , DYH Amazon, Buffon Macaw and Emerald Green Toucanette.

Attachments

• red4resize.jpg
    red4resize.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 31

KimPossible

Great story and Beautiful Cockatoo Dave!!

Bonerfortuna, Your crew is impressive.....which is your favorite?

mps9506

Wow bonerfortuna, that has got to be a good deal of work to take care of those guys. They look wonderful though.
One of our customers has a few softbills and I know they are a ton of work, but they are beautiful. One of the birds we don't deal with because we know most customers just aren't prepared for them.

Newt

Beautiful birds bonerfortuna, and wonderful looking cockatoo Wit!

All your birds look very happy and healthy.

I really do appreciate everyone's knowledge and advice. I know you're not trying to discourage me, and just want to see me make the best decision for myself and the bird, so it is much appreciated.

Witfull

JKreef said:
I really do appreciate everyone's knowledge and advice. I know you're not trying to discourage me,
heck no, its not like you are getting married,,,then we would need to have a serious talk,,,LOL