OT new toy

Intranick

So.. part birthday gift (which was a week ago).. part personal spending.. part boneyards parts (yes i have a section of my apartment with gutted computers and misc parts i call my boneyard) I am building a AMD Phenom II x4 965 computer.

other specifications coming soon, but has anybody tried out the Phenom II chip?

I kinda support AMD not because they're the fastest, but they're the little engine they could.. brief amount of history:

started by Intel to create a less expensive line of a similar chip (486 days .. heh).. shotly after they got going, maybe a couple processor generations.. Intel turned them loose -- thinking that they would die and wernt quiet about it.. and had a couple generations they took part in and bombed after that.. but after the AMD K6-3 which was prolly their biggest failure, they created the athlon, which slaughtered the pentium 3 and forced them to speed up development on the Pentium 4.. and then slayed the first few pentium 4s with the Athlon Thunderbird.. which started the battle we have today. AMD had lots of firsts, but Intel always caught up and beat them down later. right now we're phase of the cycle that Intel has a clear lead in performance.. but only if you're willing to pay 2-4x as much money for the chip (phenom ii 965 is just over $200.. the weakest intel chip that can beat it is $600-something.. and that goes all the way up to $1200)...

interesting. yes, i support the little guy here. price wise makes sense, idealogy wise makes sense, i cant see a problem, can you?