OT: Live Falcon Nest Cam

jimeluiz

We have a pair of Peregrine Falcons nesting in the planter box of the executive balcony on the 30th floor of our building. (The floor is currently vacant.)

They had 4 eggs in their nest, but it seems only one has hatched.

Our building got notice last month that they were going to postpone regular window cleaning until after the new chick has grown sufficiently to fly off when disturbed.

In the mean time they have installed a live Falcon Nest Cam.

Someone has a joy stick that controls the camera because every once in a while they swing it around to see one of the parents perched on the edge of the building. Beautiful birds!

If you're lucky you can catch a parent returning to the nest with an unlucky mouse, then feeding it to the chick.

Check it out.

http://www2.ucsc.edu/scpbrg/falconcamera2.htm

Gina

RS STAFF
Very cool!
I'll have to make sure Mark sees this!
Did you see the live feed of the Eagles nest I posted? It even has sound.
I actually posted 2 different ones.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
.... can someone call "the guy with the joy stick" and ask him to show the nest?? :D

jimeluiz

The camera does zoom in to the nest (the balding spots on the floor of the planter area - no bundle of twigs or woven weeds) - most of the time. But recent rains have made the weeds grow quite a bit, obscuring the chick, so lately they have pulled back some to watch a parent bird perched up top.

jimeluiz

Well our little offspring has fledged.

Go check out the link for a WONDERFUL five minute loop of season highlights. It goes from eggs to chick to feathers to flight. Just beautiful.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
jimeluiz said:
Well our little offspring has fledged.

Go check out the link for a WONDERFUL five minute loop of season highlights. It goes from eggs to chick to feathers to flight. Just beautiful.

I enjoyed that film, thank you!